Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I have an ATI in my laptop, and it runs gentoo. I just emerged ati-drivers, and ran fglrxconfig. That was it. Just build the things you aren't sure about in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I have an ATI in my laptop, and it runs gentoo. I just emerged ati-drivers, and ran fglrxconfig.

That was it. Just build the things you aren't sure about in the kernel as modules, so that you can modprobe them if you need them, or rmmod if you don't. The only thing I would think that HAS to be build in would be your filesystem for /boot and /.

Just post or pm me, and I will help you out all I can. Let me know the problem, and hopefully we can find an answer. I think I followed the wiki for my ati drivers on the laptop.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ATI_Drivers

It was actually painless.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Quote Originally Posted by RobNyc
    I had a big problem the other day. I let somebody I know but is a non-gentoo user ssh into my pc and strip down my kernel .. That was bad. And I was working on the ati stuff that I had read on the wiki (wont try for now) **** man .. It was the worst of the worst. Now I reinstalled and using the prescott march should be better too. I dont know how I'm gonna do doing this ATI without any help
    If you do a stage 3 install, then you will need to do a:
    Code:
    emerge -e system && emerge -e system && emerge -e world
    when you get the install done (because a stage 3 is built with the pentium4 cflag, and you changed it to a prescott cflag).

It only took about 12 hours on my P4 3.0E, so it won't take any longer for you if you use ccache.

If you need any help, just let me know! My messengers are all on here, and I will answer pm's if I get them.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Well my friend was telling me ccache is not any good really only if you will emerge the same things everytime.

Also I reinstalled VLOS and im back to where i wanted to be im good now
    I installed latest everything . 4.0.1 might go to 4.0.2 gcc. Just modifying my make.conf to make it nice .. just added -qt -kde stuff i dont need since me and my friend are using gnome , i'll keep gnome only here for now.

u should come through irc = xchat =)

Well my friend was telling me ccache is not any good really only if you will emerge the same things everytime.

Also I reinstalled VLOS and im back to where i wanted to be im good now
    I installed latest everything . 4.0.1 might go to 4.0.2 gcc. Just modifying my make.conf to make it nice .. just added -qt -kde stuff i dont need since me and my friend are using gnome , i'll keep gnome only here for now.

u should come through irc = xchat =)
    ccache works great when you do an "emerge -avuDN world" or just update regularly. It isn't really for installs, but for updating and general stuff, it speeds up compiling a lot.

And yeah, I use gnome only on all my computers. I used KDE for a while, but I always seem to come back to gnome.

And what channel are you on?

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Quote Originally Posted by gruven
    ccache works great when you do an "emerge -avuDN world" or just update regularly. It isn't really for installs, but for updating and general stuff, it speeds up compiling a lot.

And yeah, I use gnome only on all my computers. I used KDE for a while, but I always seem to come back to gnome.

And what channel are you on?
    Ah.. so I gotta see this then. I'm reading the CCACHE-wiki
    I'm on mainly in #conrad,#phaeronix,#init,#nylug

Ah.. so I gotta see this then. I'm reading the CCACHE-wiki
    I'm on mainly in #conrad,#phaeronix,#init,#nylug
    When I am on IRC i usually hang out in #gentoo, or some other plain chat. I don't IRC often though.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Lately the only issue I've been having is Kernel probs. I'm trying to learn how to do my own . But vlos kernel is fine but I want to tweak it . holla

I have always compiled my own. I never used genkernel, I just find out what hardware I have, and add support by a.) compiling it into the kernel, b.) compiling it as kernel modules, or c.) downloading other kernel modules and compiling them as I see fit.

I like my own configuration, and it isn't hard at all to do. And I have never used VLOS, so I don't know what kind of "tweaking" they do to the OS, and what they change about gentoo to make it VLOS.

I do know that an "emerge -uDN world" would break the system back when VLOS first came out. I hear they have fixed that.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Quote Originally Posted by gruven
    I have always compiled my own. I never used genkernel, I just find out what hardware I have, and add support by a.) compiling it into the kernel, b.) compiling it as kernel modules, or c.) downloading other kernel modules and compiling them as I see fit.

I like my own configuration, and it isn't hard at all to do. And I have never used VLOS, so I don't know what kind of "tweaking" they do to the OS, and what they change about gentoo to make it VLOS.

I do know that an "emerge -uDN world" would break the system back when VLOS first came out. I hear they have fixed that.
    yea vlos has improved. I've been using VLOS since its new release came out. Did lots of modifications to it also. Did 3 installs. the first one I did bad stuff to the make.conf, second time noticed Yukiyu make.conf wizard didnt do what I wanted and third I' make sure of things first and then do it been using it since Jan 22 ..

Gruven what your icon / avatar means ?

Btw.. I did the real gentoo install using the Conrad Method.. IM loving ..

os[Linux 2.6.15-no3 i686] distro[Gentoo Base System version 1.12.0_pre15] cpu[2 x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz @ 3.00GHz] mem[Physical : 1009MB, 93.6% free] disk[Total : 52.57GB, 92.90% Free] video[ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO]] sound[ICH4 - Intel ICH5]

here's the install guide if u wanna look at it > http://linktrim.com/4e8

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=prescott -fweb -frename-registers -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe"
    CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
    CXXFLAGS="$(CFLAGS) -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -Wl, -O1"
    LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--sort-common -s"
    ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
    PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp
    PORTDIR=/usr/portage
    PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/portage
    PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
    GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
    SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage/"
    PORTAGE_NICENESS=10
    AUTOCLEAN="yes"
    FEATURES="distlocks userpriv"
    USE="nptl nptlonly dri xcomposite -cups logitech-mouse -arts -xmms sse sse2 flac speex a52 aac audiofile bmp cdr dvd dvdr dvdread ffmpeg java lm_sensors memlimit mmx win32codecs xine"
    INPUT_DEVICES="mouse keyboard evdev"
    VIDEO_CARDS="ati"

.. If I overclock it to lets say 3.30 or 3.60 .. what will I notice different ? speed faster ? compiling faster ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast