Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 31 to 36 of 36
Originally Posted by RobNyc Gruven what your icon / avatar means ? Btw.. I did the real gentoo install using the Conrad Method.. IM loving .. os[Linux 2.6.15-no3 i686] distro[Gentoo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #31
    Linux Enthusiast gruven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    541

    Quote Originally Posted by RobNyc
    Gruven what your icon / avatar means ?

    Btw.. I did the real gentoo install using the Conrad Method.. IM loving ..

    os[Linux 2.6.15-no3 i686] distro[Gentoo Base System version 1.12.0_pre15] cpu[2 x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz @ 3.00GHz] mem[Physical : 1009MB, 93.6% free] disk[Total : 52.57GB, 92.90% Free] video[ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO]] sound[ICH4 - Intel ICH5]

    here's the install guide if u wanna look at it > http://linktrim.com/4e8


    CFLAGS="-O2 -march=prescott -fweb -frename-registers -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe"
    CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
    CXXFLAGS="$(CFLAGS) -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -Wl, -O1"
    LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--sort-common -s"
    ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
    PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp
    PORTDIR=/usr/portage
    PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/portage
    PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
    GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
    SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage/"
    PORTAGE_NICENESS=10
    AUTOCLEAN="yes"
    FEATURES="distlocks userpriv"
    USE="nptl nptlonly dri xcomposite -cups logitech-mouse -arts -xmms sse sse2 flac speex a52 aac audiofile bmp cdr dvd dvdr dvdread ffmpeg java lm_sensors memlimit mmx win32codecs xine"
    INPUT_DEVICES="mouse keyboard evdev"
    VIDEO_CARDS="ati"

    .. If I overclock it to lets say 3.30 or 3.60 .. what will I notice different ? speed faster ? compiling faster ?
    My avatar is a pentacle, it is pretty much a symbol that is used in the Pagan Religions of the world.

    And sorry to say, I just ditched Gentoo. After over a year of using it, I just grew tired of the compiles. I switched everything over to Debian unstable, and am loving it. Just as much configurability (except for the use flags, but keeping the extra stuff off really isnt't a concern because my debian install takes up MUCH less room than my Gentoo install did), but no compiles, and it is actually just as fast.

    I

    Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

  2. #32
    Linux Newbie RobNyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    NYC, USA
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven
    My avatar is a pentacle, it is pretty much a symbol that is used in the Pagan Religions of the world.

    And sorry to say, I just ditched Gentoo. After over a year of using it, I just grew tired of the compiles. I switched everything over to Debian unstable, and am loving it. Just as much configurability (except for the use flags, but keeping the extra stuff off really isnt't a concern because my debian install takes up MUCH less room than my Gentoo install did), but no compiles, and it is actually just as fast.

    I
    For real?
    awww.. I'm a Deb fan too. But too much trouble for me. The people that I know using Debian are always idle. Most of the ppl I I know are using Frugalware, Arch, Gentoo, PClos, .. But yea lets see how long I can last

    I want to try these distro(S) .. Pingwinek, Pentoo and Parsix(Based on Kanotix and Debian).. I got banned from Kanotix cuz of my cousin

  3. #33
    Linux Enthusiast gruven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by RobNyc
    For real?
    awww.. I'm a Deb fan too. But too much trouble for me. The people that I know using Debian are always idle. Most of the ppl I I know are using Frugalware, Arch, Gentoo, PClos, .. But yea lets see how long I can last

    I want to try these distro(S) .. Pingwinek, Pentoo and Parsix(Based on Kanotix and Debian).. I got banned from Kanotix cuz of my cousin
    Yeah, I have used gentoo for over a year, and have been trying out debian over the past couple years. Debian unstable is just as up to date as my ~x86 gentoo install, and I didn't have to compile anything (although I could if I wanted).

    It is nice. Like I said, gentoo is great to learn with, but for me, debian gets my hard drive space.

    Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #34
    Linux Newbie RobNyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    NYC, USA
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven
    Yeah, I have used gentoo for over a year, and have been trying out debian over the past couple years. Debian unstable is just as up to date as my ~x86 gentoo install, and I didn't have to compile anything (although I could if I wanted).

    It is nice. Like I said, gentoo is great to learn with, but for me, debian gets my hard drive space.
    True... geee... I dont know. the reason I like this gentoo is cuz of the flexibility, but that also screws up .. So how u installed your debian ? I've used Kanotix and Parsix, I might go that way to use debian all set up . My gentoo just got screwed up, #1 I aint reinstalling again, I dont wanna go thru vlos again, and its true what my friend said binary distro its just easier and gives u more time. But u seem to be right, u should start coming into irc and chat with some folks it'll be fun

  6. #35
    Linux Enthusiast gruven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    541
    Debian is as configurable as Gentoo (in the config sense, not the compile options sense) and is just a lot easier to install, and maintain for me.

    I used the daily snapshot net install of just plain debian. Just pop the disk in, and follow the on screen instructions. Within 20 minutes, have everything installed, and another 10 you can have Xorg 6.9 (same source as 7.0, just compiled differently) and any choice of DE I want.

    I really loved gentoo, but it just isn't what I need, or want now. I learned a LOT using and configuring Gentoo, and without that experience, I would be lost since I switched completely over to Linux.

    Anyway, I will come into irc sometime, just let me know where. If you need any help with Debian or Gentoo, let me know, I still remember a lot, lol. I am still learning how to do things the "Debian" way though.

    *edit*
    One more thing I forgot to add. Although I think portage is the best thing since sliced bread, APT is just GREAT! You can use Synaptic for a gui, apt-get or aptitude for command line, and aptitude will even remove software that is installed with the package you wanted when you remove it.

    Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

  7. #36
    Linux Newbie RobNyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    NYC, USA
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven
    Debian is as configurable as Gentoo (in the config sense, not the compile options sense) and is just a lot easier to install, and maintain for me.

    I used the daily snapshot net install of just plain debian. Just pop the disk in, and follow the on screen instructions. Within 20 minutes, have everything installed, and another 10 you can have Xorg 6.9 (same source as 7.0, just compiled differently) and any choice of DE I want.

    I really loved gentoo, but it just isn't what I need, or want now. I learned a LOT using and configuring Gentoo, and without that experience, I would be lost since I switched completely over to Linux.

    Anyway, I will come into irc sometime, just let me know where. If you need any help with Debian or Gentoo, let me know, I still remember a lot, lol. I am still learning how to do things the "Debian" way though.

    *edit*
    One more thing I forgot to add. Although I think portage is the best thing since sliced bread, APT is just GREAT! You can use Synaptic for a gui, apt-get or aptitude for command line, and aptitude will even remove software that is installed with the package you wanted when you remove it.
    Sounds good. you are right. Just come on freenode the channels on my signature, #conrad,#phaeronix,#init,#nylug,#easylinuxguide im in those channels whenever im on and im on 99% of the time =]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •