Find the answer to your Linux question:
i compiled my kernel (2.6.15) with nvidiafb support built in. but when i pass the vga= thing to the kernel, all i end up with is a black screen. could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

getting nvidiafb to work

i compiled my kernel (2.6.15) with nvidiafb support built in. but when i pass the vga= thing to the kernel, all i end up with is a black screen.

could it be from the fact i only enabled the nvidiafb driver rather that the vesafb driver. my graphics card is a tnt2.
    also, could it be from the fact i recompiled my kernel with framebuffer support without cleaning any of the code up (ie make clean)?

ive tried putting in video=nvidiafb vga=788 but that doesnt work.

pleae help me, my first install of gentoo seems to be going well except for this.

/weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Quote Originally Posted by Weedman
    i compiled my kernel (2.6.15) with nvidiafb support built in. but when i pass the vga= thing to the kernel, all i end up with is a black screen.

could it be from the fact i only enabled the nvidiafb driver rather that the vesafb driver. my graphics card is a tnt2.
    also, could it be from the fact i recompiled my kernel with framebuffer support without cleaning any of the code up (ie make clean)?

ive tried putting in video=nvidiafb vga=788 but that doesnt work.

pleae help me, my first install of gentoo seems to be going well except for this.

/weed
    I would suggest to just use the vesafb-tng driver instead. If you ever want to use the binary Nvidia drivers for 3D, then you won't be able to use nvidia-fb anyway.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

i changed it to vesafb according to the framebuffer instructions from the gentoo site.

thanks gruven,

/weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--