Find the answer to your Linux question:
Currently I use scsi emulation to burn for my dvdburner connected via usb. I use the growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0 command. I'm wondering because I've read on some other posts ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

usb and dvdburning

Currently I use scsi emulation to burn for my dvdburner connected via usb. I use the growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0 command. I'm wondering because I've read on some other posts and seen some stuff that scsi emulation is not required for newer 2.6 kernels. But I don't know if this applies when burning through usb burners. My burner works fine so I don't really have any problems but I've never seen a "usb burner" option in the kernel only stuff like mass storage, printers, etc.

So I wonder if anyone else has a usb dvd burner and are burning through something other then scsi emulation. If so, what kernel options are you using? What does you fstab look like?

Thanks in advance.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

I have scsi emulation and scsi cdrom compiled in my kernel, and it burns fine.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

like i said in my post my burning works just fine but I wondering if this is the "incorrect" way to do it? An analogy would be using the deprecated oss instead of alsa if probably works ok but your "supposed" to use alsa.

i'm really just tweakin a few things but this is not a big deal just wondering if anyone found a different-newer way of doing it.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    like i said in my post my burning works just fine but I wondering if this is the "incorrect" way to do it? An analogy would be using the deprecated oss instead of alsa if probably works ok but your "supposed" to use alsa.

i'm really just tweakin a few things but this is not a big deal just wondering if anyone found a different-newer way of doing it.
    Sorry, I guess I misunderstood.

From what I have read, is that all you need is scsi cdrom support enabled. I enabled scsi emulation just in case, because hey, it can't hurt.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry