Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So I finally for GRUB to work. Then when I click on Gentoo to load, a bunch of text comes and goes. Then I get this message: Code: UDF - ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking Partition Not Found - Please Help ;)

So I finally for GRUB to work.

Then when I click on Gentoo to load, a bunch of text comes and goes. Then I get this message:

Code:
    UDF - fs: No partition found (1)

Kernel panic - not syncing: UFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,19)
    Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Please and thank you.

If it's of any help, it's a SATA drive and partitioned with ReiserFS and yes I did check the ReiserFS buttons while configuring the kernel :0

Um...

According to that error message, it's checking the 20th partition on your 9th harddrive (that is, sdj20).

You may want to check your /boot/grub/menu.lst file to ensure you have everything properly.

yeah please post your /boot/grub/grub.conf or the menu.lst file and also /etc/fstab
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

grub.conf
    Code:
    default 0
    timeout 30

title=Gentoo
    root(hd2,0)
    kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/sdb3
    fstab
    Code:

/dev/sdb1     /boot     reiserfs     noauto, noatime, notail     1,2
    /dev/sdb3     /           reiserfs     noatime                          0,1
    /dev/sdb2     none      reiserfs     

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0     /mnt/cdrom     iso9600                   0,0

none            /proc      proc
    none            /dev/shm
    none            /proc/openrom
    Only thing I am not sure about the grub file is what number my Gentoo drive is.

You have sdb2 labeled as reiserfs, is that your swap partition?
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

I have a question. Why are you using sdb instead of sda is this your second sata device? I personaly don't have sata but I though the naming started with sda.

Next question.

even if it is supposed to be sdb then I think your root command should be this with sdb

root (hd1,0) ---this root line although confusing for me basically points to where /boot is on your system (also you probably don't want reiserfs for boot just use ext2 it doesn't need journaling)

then only other thing is did you name you kernel plain old "bzimage" or did you use genkernel because if you used genkernel another line including the init kernel image is required not sure exactly what it is but it will be in the handbookI don't use genkernel.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I made the mistake of putting reiserfs for my partition in the fstab, but I took it out.

spencerf, I am using sdb because it's my second SATA drive. But I also have an IDE drive in there as well. And I did name the kernel bzImage. But i'm pretty sure it's not the kernel at fault because when I click on Gentoo to load. I see a bunch of text comming and going, then it screws up at the end.

And I accidently put my /boot as reiserfs, and I guess it's too late to change it now :S And I didn't use genkernel.

Thanks for all your help, and i'll experiment today on which drive Gentoo is located in.

ok so then I would definetly try the root (hd1,0) line and see if this finds your kernel.

I also know when you use jfs for your real root partition you need to put "ro" and end of that line in grub but not sure it you need it for reiserfs, might be something to look into though if other suggestions don't work.

also have a look at this wiki I just found for sata and gentoo it provides helpful information on selecting the correct sata stuff in the kernel

especially that you need scsi selected.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_SATA

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that man, I dont' recall checking SCSI in my kernel.

And it found my kernel if I see a lot of text comming and going once I select Gentoo, correct?

And how do I compile the kernel again? Do I simply have to save it once I check SCSI support?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast