Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Is there a small hole on the front of the cd drive, where you can put a pin in? If you have that, you can put a pin in there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is there a small hole on the front of the cd drive, where you can put a pin in?
    If you have that, you can put a pin in there and the cd will eject.

Is there any special reason that you have your hard drive configured as the secondary slave?
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    I don't know how many IDE drives you have in your machine, but I would start by switching them around so that your hard drive is in Primary master and your primary cd-rom is in secondary master. That may or may not fix your problems. After you do this, you will need your lilo conf file to point to hda1. Hopefully this will fix your cd rom drive so that you can make the changes. If that doesn't fix your problem with your cdrom drive you can try cleaning it or swapping it out with a spare one that you or a friend may have. Oh, and one last thing I was wondering, how long have you had your drives hooked up like that?

The reason why it is hdd, and there is no hda, or hdb, is because, there used to be, and the hda is still in the case, i just unplugged ide and power to it, becasue hdd, the one i installed gentoo on, had slackware and ubuntu on it, and it just...broke...the partitions stuffed up, and just kinda formatted inself, and hdd1 just "copies" itself to hdd4, i have no idea why, my friend told me its because of ram, so yes, i put new ram in the machine. And it seems to work fine,the reason hda is still unplgedd is becasue i want to back it all up befoe i go putting it back in or it might stuff up like hdd. Also, my cd drive doesnot have one of those things on them, i don't know what do to with it

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    So your cd drive is the secondary Master, and the hard drive is the secondary slave?
    Switch these around, the hard drive should be the Master. Even if it is secondary Master.
    Don't forget to change the pin setting.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

It's not that, well, it doesnt matter anyway because im getting a new computer today anyway. $A50, 256mb of ram, 450mhz celeron, with a free copy of windows xp (as if i'll use that :P). it might not even cost that much if i give him something, like the ram that was in the other computer

EVEN BETTER:

433mhz celeron (not better)
    319mb ram (better )

Price is....FREE

i'll re install later

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2