Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I followed the manuel word to word, and now it doesn't boot =( I installed it on hdd1, swap is hdd5. It is ReiserFS. I checked all the boxes for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Just installed, doesn't boot

I followed the manuel word to word, and now it doesn't boot =(

I installed it on hdd1, swap is hdd5. It is ReiserFS. I checked all the boxes for reiserfs when compiling. i emerged reiserfsprogs, dhcpcd and lilo. And lilo.conf had something like this on it. (im not on my computer at the moment so i can't post exactl, i will put it on later)

Code:
    boot = /boot/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r6
    label=Gentoo
    read-only
    root=/dev/hdd1
    i don't know if that is right...What happens when i boot it has a pretty little box saying "SEAGATE TECHNOLIGY" and then says to put in a bootable cd or floppy and press space, does that over and over again, my hd is a 40gb seagate. Any help please post, should i install grub instead of lilo or something, or have i just messed up lilo.conf

Just Joined!
    Do you have 2 hardrive or is that the only one?

It is the only harddrive

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    well if you only have one harddrive and it is ide/ata number 1 master then it would be hda1 for boot.

the seagate thing sounds like your bios and that you had orginally enabled the boot configuration to choose cd then floppy or vice-versa and probably didn't check your harddrive as a boot option. So go into your bios and put your harddrive as the first order for booting. You can usually get in your bios by pressing del right when you start your computer.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

BIOS is set to boot from cd, floppy, hd. there is nothing in floppy or cd drive, so it is booting from hd.

I know it is hdd. Because it is on the second ide cable. on the second port thingy (Can't remeber the actual names :P) It also says something like "There is an error configuring DDO, try adding /V=2 or something to the boot something" i don't know the exact error message, if it is really important, i will go copy it out. I don't know what this DDO thing is. if it's linux complaining. or just the harddrive saying it cant find any os to boot

it sounds (possibly) like lilo is not in the mbr. i dont know if you can use the gentoo install cd to reinstall lilo.

how come you didnt install grub, but installed lilo? any partitcular reason?

/weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

I just like the way lilo works, how it uses the normal linux hda1 thing instead of the hd(1,0) thing of grub, i just find it easier. I always thought that the mbr could only be installed onto hda, is this correct? if it is, that's probably why it isn't working, as i don't havean hda :P

no i doesnt, but if you have only one hard drive, it should be hda depending on whether or not the harddrive is the prim-master.

i understand why you are using lilo now. thanks for your reply.

/weed

I think that my computer is just broken, as i can't even boot knoppix, just keeps coming up with "/etc/init.d/xsession /bin/sleep Input/Output error" then it goes "Trying XServer XFree86" then it does the same thing over and over again. I then get a "bash#" prompt. I try to cd to /etc then go ls

bash: /bin/ls: Input/Output error

This has never happened before and i don't know what to do, please help =(

Edit: i tried ejecting the cd

bash: /usr/bin/eject: Input/Output error

so i thought i can just turn it off and then when i turn it on again. Eject it then, but oh no, doesnt eject no matter how much i push the button, now it keeps on going "SYSTEM BOOT FAILURE: INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" but the knoppix cd is still in there, but now it doesnt boot. man this is pissing me off. My computer is rendered completely useless now

Quote Originally Posted by Game master pro
    I think that my computer is just broken, as i can't even boot knoppix, just keeps coming up with "/etc/init.d/xsession /bin/sleep Input/Output error" then it goes "Trying XServer XFree86" then it does the same thing over and over again. I then get a "bash#" prompt. I try to cd to /etc then go ls

bash: /bin/ls: Input/Output error

This has never happened before and i don't know what to do, please help =(
    it sounds like youve got problems releated to ide controller. have you played around in your pc's case lately? there is one thing you could try and that is to change the bios settings to optimal or failsafe as it might be a settings conflict IF you have played around in there lately OR added a new piece of hardware.

/weed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast