Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am installing a stage3 gentoo via liveCD in a toshiba satellite m50 with marvell yukon 88E8036 ethernet card, and the liveCD is not able to recognise my card. After ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

2.6.12-gentoo-r6: Marvell Yukon network card problem

I am installing a stage3 gentoo via liveCD in a toshiba satellite m50 with marvell yukon 88E8036 ethernet card, and the liveCD is not able to recognise my card. After i installed the basic installation (no GUI) i downloaded the sysconnect driver from www.skd.de (version 8.28, and yeah their site moved from syskonnect.de) and installed it as a kernel patch.

I think i managed to get my network card detected by the kernel because when i issue ifconfig eth0, it gaves me the right mac address.

The problem is that i can't use the net-setup, dhcpd and those kind of commands since i think it's not included in the core installation of my system.

i tried to enter gentoo via liveCD and then chroot into my kernel, but my card is not detected.

Do you have any solution so i can configure my network? This network card has become the largest problem in installing gentoo.

thank you very much.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by INA_ctive
    I am installing a stage3 gentoo via liveCD in a toshiba satellite m50 with marvell yukon 88E8036 ethernet card, and the liveCD is not able to recognise my card. After i installed the basic installation (no GUI) i downloaded the sysconnect driver from www.skd.de (version 8.28, and yeah their site moved from syskonnect.de) and installed it as a kernel patch.

I think i managed to get my network card detected by the kernel because when i issue ifconfig eth0, it gaves me the right mac address.

The problem is that i can't use the net-setup, dhcpd and those kind of commands since i think it's not included in the core installation of my system.

i tried to enter gentoo via liveCD and then chroot into my kernel, but my card is not detected.

Do you have any solution so i can configure my network? This network card has become the largest problem in installing gentoo.

thank you very much.

Well, its not the answer that you are looking for; however, the simplest solution would be to merely mount the full cd, then chroot to your install and emerge dhcp and the other network utilities that you need emergeing from that...then boot intoo your gentoo install and, ifconfig eth0 up, dhcpcd eth0, then try a ping and see if you get it working
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    thank you, but it didn't work.
    i chrooted to my install then i tried emerge -k net-setup and it says it can't find the package on the liveCD. I tried to search for net-setup and dhcpd in gentoo 2005.1 package cd but i can't seem to find it.

any other solution?

btw, is there any way to reload the installed kernel after chroot? maybe that way my kernel will be able to detect my NIC.

I have a marvell onboard lan card. Try typing this after the livecd boots:
    Code:
    modprobe skge
    ifconfig eth0 up
    That is what I had to do.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    thank you but that also didn't work. any other ideas? i think i only need to get net-setup and/or dhcpd on my installed system so that i can configure my eth card.

thank you in advance.

You'd need dhcpd if you are setting up your computer to act as a dhcp server. What I think you want to do is make your computer grab an IP address from a dhcp server e.g. a router or something.

If that is the case, try emerging dhcpcd cd = client daemon dhcpd = server daemon. dhcpcd is on the stage3 gentoo universal cd, so just copy /where_cd_is_mounted/distfiles to /usr/portage/distfiles. You can do this either inside or outside chrooted environment.

I don't think net-setup is located on the stage3 cd, but if your computer isn't connected to a modem, why not just edit /etc/conf.d/net by hand?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    thank you very much for the help, now i am able to configure the network correctly, configured the network with route and ifconfig (then i edit the resolv.conf for my nameserver)

questions though,
    using ifconfig and route requires me to enter ip manually (which works for me now since my ip are static). How if for example ip are given dynamically?
    another one,
    everytime i login to gentoo, i'll have to enter the ifconfig configuration with ip, broadcast, netmask, etc. Is there any way to make it more automated?

thank you very much!

1. for dynamic ip, it is:
    config_eth0=( "dhcp" )

2. Enter the stuff in /etc/conf.d/net e.g. for setting a filed like mtu for eth0, I would write the following in /etc/conf.d/net:
    ifconfig_eth0="mtu 1500"
    if like you said, it is static ip, then just have:
    config_eth0=( "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" )
    routes_eth0=( "default gw whatever" )

then just add net.eth0 to default runlevel to have it automatically setup on boot.

These questions are all addressed in the networking section of the gentoo handbook.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    thank you very much, my card is working now!