Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, Currently Im running fedora 4 and i have realized that it is quite bloated. I have looked into gentoo and i have had a great desire to attempt at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Smile Gentoo installers - or easier install method/description?

Hello,

Currently Im running fedora 4 and i have realized that it is quite bloated. I have looked into gentoo and i have had a great desire to attempt at a type 3 installation. However, the installation is pretty imposing on me and im not quite sure about it, I was curious if there is gentoo with an installer out there (besides VLOS, apparently it got horrible ratings) that is acctually any good, or if i want the full power of gentoo it might be better off doing it the old fashioned way? any help would be appreciated!

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCelloDude
    I was curious if there is gentoo with an installer out there (besides VLOS, apparently it got horrible ratings)
    My advice, NEVER trust other people's ratings on distributions (yes, including the ones on my site). No one can tell you whether or not a distribution will work in your unique situation. I myself found VLOS quite usable, but I highly recommend you not take anyone's word for it and try it yourself.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

the gentoo install is really not that difficult. All you have to do is the follow the handbook word for word and step by step and you should have no problems. One the base system is installed and you have rebooted then all you have to do is follow the documentation for setting up stuff like X server, desktop environment, openoffice, firefox, etc.

Usually this is as easy as

emerge foo
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    the gentoo install is really not that difficult.
    Difficult is not the same thing as time-consuming. For me personally (I can't speak for the original poster) the reason I don't use Gentoo is not because I find the install difficult. It's because I don't have the hours it takes to get set up, hence why alternatives like VLOS look good.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Here is a link to the Gentoo Livecd/installer for x86
    http://gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/x86/livecd/

If you need a different architecture, look in one of these folders for livecd.
    http://gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

oz
    forum.guy
    I've successfully installed Gentoo 4 or 5 different times on my own boxes, but find it far too time consuming for anything other than experimental use.

If you want to install it from scratch, I recommend printing out the handbook and having it close by. Sure some brag that they've installed it without the handbook, but I don't recommend such for Gentoo beginners, and having it available on-screen right from the install CD during the installation isn't the same as having a printed copy right beside you, either.

Just my 2 cents... good luck with your own install.

ozar
    oz

Before the use of the Gentoo installer, the easiest way I found to put Gentoo on my box is to use a livecd such as Knoppix.
    And then just have the handbook open so commands can be copied and pasted.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Difficult is not the same thing as time-consuming. For me personally (I can't speak for the original poster) the reason I don't use Gentoo is not because I find the install difficult. It's because I don't have the hours it takes to get set up, hence why alternatives like VLOS look good.
    The only reason I wrote that it wasn't that difficult is because the original poster stated that he though the install process might be too "imposing" for him. I just wanted to let him know that the install is not that difficult if the handbook is followed. Now as to the time consuming aspect you are correct it is incredibly long and taxing and is one the things you have to consider when considering trying out gentoo. I agree though that VLOS is a viable alternative as are every other possible distro. They all have their strengths and weaknesses I was just trying to encourage him to try Gentoo if he so please and not be afraid that he wouldn't be able to do it.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Newbie
    Yep, I think same. Installing Gentoo is not so difficult, but time consuming it is. Also I think that installing Gentoo via original way is a part of using Gentoo. So I recommend you to do as told, print a copy of installing guide and to perform install without any graphical stuff.

Just Joined!
    yeah and be sure you don't skip even a single paragraph! there might be some informations hidden there :P so dont rush.
    i took almost a day to install the base system. one hour extracting, then take a break and read the manual, another hour to compiling the kernel, etc etc.
    if you feel tired, dont rush and skip. rest instead.
    that's my advice (im still a noob though)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast