Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, i'm setting ALSA using the one provided by the kernel, but everytime i login or restart the sound server i got this messagebox popping out and my linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux ALSA problem

Hi all, i'm setting ALSA using the one provided by the kernel, but everytime i login or restart the sound server i got this messagebox popping out and my linux remains silent without sound.
    Sound server informational message:
    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
    can anyone tell me how to fix this? i googled around and found that i should make the device using mkdev but it doesn't work for me.
    thank you very much!

This message sometimes occurs when one is not a member of the "audio" group.

Make sure that your username figure in the "audio" section of the file /etc/group.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    thank you, but this message also appears when i login as root.

Quote Originally Posted by INA_ctive
    i googled around and found that i should make the device using mkdev but it doesn't work for me.
    thank you very much!
    Well, I don't think this should be necessary, because much likely you are using a recent version of "udev", and not "devfs". So, mkdev is useless in your case.

Just make sure the appropriate module for your sound card is loaded.

What is your sound card?
    Code:
    lspci
    will tell you.

And
    Code:
    lsmod | grep -i snd
    will inform you if the module for your sound card is loaded.

If not, "modprobe" it.

It's all I can think of right now...

Gentoo eh? So you did build the kernel with ALSA and support for your soundcard? The 2 of them as modules?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

i think you may have included the Open Sound System into the kernel as well. this conflicts with ALSA. i had the same problem. to solve it, follow this guide. this is what i used to install ALSA. use the modules instead of building it into the kernel
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Newbie
    Yep, or then you have esd or similar sound daemon running, which keeps /dev/dsp (or whatever your sound device is) busy and unreachable from alsa daemon.

Just Joined!
    i tried to lspci and my sound card is listed as:
    0000:00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
    but the lsmod returns zero results. how to load the souncard module? what module should i load?
    thank you.

Just Joined!
    i tried to lspci and my sound card is listed as:
    0000:00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
    but the lsmod returns zero results. how to load the souncard module? what module should i load?
    thank you.

oh, and yes, i'm using the gentoo-alsa guide

don't worry, the gentoo-alsa guide sorts everything out.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    no i mean i've been following the guide but i come into this difficulty, lol :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast