Find the answer to your Linux question:
i finally found the 2 best mp3 players ever and neither of them work on gentoo. well at least they are not in the portage repositories. they are: - snackamp ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

no snackamp in gentoo???

i finally found the 2 best mp3 players ever and neither of them work on gentoo. well at least they are not in the portage repositories.

they are:
    - snackamp
    and - musikcube
    i know musikcube has't got a fully fledged stable version out for linux, but snackamp has but i cant get it through portage.

what do i do???
    thanks
    -weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Pretty simple: just download the source and compile by hand. You can use Portage to grab any dependencies, and install snackamp manually. If it ever gets added to Portage, you can either remove yours and reinstall through that, or you can tell Portage that you have it installed by listing the package in make.conf.

The alternative is writing your own Ebuild, though I dunno how to do that.

You need to google for a third party ebuild, make a portage overlay, and then digest the ebuild. You can then use portage to install the software.

If you need help with that, the instructions are in the gentoo documentation on how to do it.

That way, portage will do automatic dependency installation, and you can always remove the software later if you don't like it through portage.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

i installed it via the source way, but it didnt require the configure;make;make install thingy, it just needed extracting.

to bad my sound broke. /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp1 and /dev/mixer are missing.
    -weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--