Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all again. I have had gentoo set up on my lappy for about a week now with no issues relating to this, but when i tried to play music ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

/dev/dsp missing? (SOLVED)

Hi all again.

I have had gentoo set up on my lappy for about a week now with no issues relating to this, but when i tried to play music this arvo, both snackamp and mpg123 complained that /dev/dsp is missing.
    well actually snackamp complained about /dev/mixer & mpg123 about /dev/dsp.

i am sure i didnt change any settings relating to /dev/dsp & /dev/mixer. a quick search in /dev dir reveals that i have no /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp1 and /dev/mixer.

i do have /dev/dsp2 and /dev/dsp3 though.
    what is going on? may this have anything to do with the fact that i have been unable to get alsa to save its volume settings as "alsactl" does not exist?
    thanks guys
    -weed
    Last edited by Weedman; 03-15-2006 at 09:19 AM. Reason: might as well use alsa instead of oss (oss is old)
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

:bump:
    -weed

Linux Engineer
    when you emerged the alsa drivers did you also emerge alsa tools, alsactl is a function from alsa tools I think.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    a second check reveals that /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer are only required for oss, not alsa. i set xmms to output thru alsa, and it worked.

2ndly, alsactl does exist, but only as root, and does not restore the sound for me as a user (not root).

-weed

yeah the alsa dsp is located in /dev/sound/dsp if you want oss emulation then enable that in your kernel as some programs still require oss to work.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

but you see, i did enable oss emulation in the kernel. unless i put it as a module. ill check my kernel configfile. but i do remember /dev/dsp existing when i installed mpg123, now it complains about it missing.

Thanks spencerf

-weed

Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    yeah the alsa dsp is located in /dev/sound/dsp if you want oss emulation then enable that in your kernel as some programs still require oss to work.
    EEK! dont enable oss in the kernel that will block alsa!! from loading. to enable oss emulanion you simply add
    Code:
    oss
    useflag in
    Code:
    /etc/make.conf

then if using alsa-driver recompile the driver or if kernel alsa simply recompile the kernel
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

I wasn't actually suggesting that he enable OSS in the kernel. Only the emulation stuff located under alsa.

Code:
    <M> OSS Mixer API      [*] OSS Sequencer API
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

oh well, i will use alsa for xmms and mpg123.

i already use alsa for xmms, so i mightas well use it for everything else.

thanks guys, that gave me a bit more of an understanding of oss.
    -weed