Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have installed Gentoo on my box and I have configured my x server by xorgcfg and have also installed kde, but whenever attempt to start kde by issuing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

KDE problems in Gentoo

Hi

I have installed Gentoo on my box and I have configured my x server by xorgcfg and have also installed kde, but whenever attempt to start kde by issuing
    Code:
    startkde
    I get this message
    Code:
    KPersonalizer: Unable to connect to Server
    I am not able to figure how to solve this problem. I also tried to search the forum but i could not find the solution.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Just Joined!
    ***Please note the instructions use the nano editor as nano is the default editor in Gentoo.... you may of course use any editor****

nano -w /etc/rc.conf (Edit your rc.conf file)
    read through the file in the middle it will ask you whick session manager you would like to use uncomment and select your desired one. Scroll to the bottom uncomment #Gnome and put in kde-<version>. Where <version> is the version of kde that you installed.

control x then y to save then enter
    at the prompt type

env-update
    source /etc/profile

assuming you properly configured your X enviroment you can either reboot your system, and you should go to your session manager and kde automatically.

well before rebooting if you type X -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf this will test your X settings if all is well you should get black and white screen and a mouse curser. Press control alt backspace to exit and restart your computer.

If your X configuration was not setup correctly try typing xorgconfig and go through the prompts. When you are done save and reboot.

If you get any errors at all please post them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Banko
    ***Please note the instructions use the nano editor as nano is the default editor in Gentoo.... you may of course use any editor****

nano -w /etc/rc.conf (Edit your rc.conf file)
    read through the file in the middle it will ask you whick session manager you would like to use uncomment and select your desired one. Scroll to the bottom uncomment #Gnome and put in kde-<version>. Where <version> is the version of kde that you installed.

control x then y to save then enter
    at the prompt type

env-update
    source /etc/profile

assuming you properly configured your X enviroment you can either reboot your system, and you should go to your session manager and kde automatically.

well before rebooting if you type X -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf this will test your X settings if all is well you should get black and white screen and a mouse curser. Press control alt backspace to exit and restart your computer.

If your X configuration was not setup correctly try typing xorgconfig and go through the prompts. When you are done save and reboot.

If you get any errors at all please post them here.
    Thanks it worked. Now how do I start display in default. When I boot and I enter runlevel 5, it gives me a console mode, not the GUI. How do I get it in default?
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

Quote Originally Posted by apoorv_khurasia
    Thanks it worked. Now how do I start display in default. When I boot and I enter runlevel 5, it gives me a console mode, not the GUI. How do I get it in default?
    simply execute this command:
    Code:
    rc-update add kdm default
    Note that Gentoo doesn't have the "traditional" 5 = gui style runlevel concept, rather a service such as X can be started on any runlevel that the user chooses.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    simply execute this command:
    Code:
    rc-update add kdm default
    Note that Gentoo doesn't have the "traditional" 5 = gui style runlevel concept, rather a service such as X can be started on any runlevel that the user chooses.
    Thanks again it worked!!!
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike