Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I recently switched from Fedora to Gentoo, and as expected I am facing some trouble staright ahead. To start with I have no such command updatedb on my distro. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

Exclamation help: transition from Fedora to Gentoo

Hi

I recently switched from Fedora to Gentoo, and as expected I am facing some trouble staright ahead. To start with I have no such command updatedb on my distro. I have checked /usr/sbin, /sbin and /usr/bin. Hence, neither are slocate or locate. Can someone tell me with which package these things come?

Next, I don't find /etc/rc.d dircectory. Where is this directory and if it has some different name (which is quite unlikely) please tell me that. Alternatively tell me where should I place my startup scripts?

Thanks
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

i think you put your startup scripts into /etc/init.d then use rc-update to put them into a startup procedure.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    To get locate and related programs, do "emerge slocate."

Gentoo's init system is a little different. Check out this page: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...?part=2&chap=4