Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have approached this problem from every angle I could think of hopefully someone can shed some new light on the situation. I'm running gentoo linux on my laptop and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

rhythmbox

I have approached this problem from every angle I could think of hopefully someone can shed some new light on the situation.
    I'm running gentoo linux on my laptop and I keep my music collection stored on it, roughly 2600 songs. I first installed rhythmbox as my media manager as I can sort the songs in different ways and its just so darned good at it. Now whenever I open rhythmbox all I get is a shaded window that is impossible to unshade. The "guts of the program" just dissappeared. I know, unmerge and re-emerge the program, been there done that, no luck. I even went into the distfiles directory and removed the tarball still no luck. I have no idea why it crashed and I can no longer use it any ideas?
    My box is running enlightenment as the window/desktop manager with klicker as my start menu till my enlightenment menu is complete.if you need anymore information let me know and I'll feed it to you.
    Thank you in advance
    ~Triggerguard

Do you get any errors running rhythmbox from the terminal?
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

no thats the strange part

well this is the part that is strange to me when i run it from shell it simply loads as a normal player but i don't have any of my songs b/c it doesn't save any information...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Re-emerging the application will not have any effect unless you have changed any of the USE flags (which generally should only be done in that case or if you are upgrading). Removing the distfile will not do anything either but redownload it next time you will try to recompile that version.

When you start Rhythmbox in the terminal, the reason you are not seeing any of the songs loaded is probably because you are starting it from root account. Open a terminal, and run Rhythmbox from _your_ account, it should load your information, and if it will crash it should give you an output with some type of an error.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaliy
    Re-emerging the application will not have any effect unless you have changed any of the USE flags (which generally should only be done in that case or if you are upgrading). Removing the distfile will not do anything either but redownload it next time you will try to recompile that version.

When you start Rhythmbox in the terminal, the reason you are not seeing any of the songs loaded is probably because you are starting it from root account. Open a terminal, and run Rhythmbox from _your_ account, it should load your information, and if it will crash it should give you an output with some type of an error.
    Actually, recompiling sometimes WILL have an effect on the binary file. If it had an error the first time, and causes a segfault, then recompiling will help. Sometimes there are errors in compiles and it doesn't stop compiling, so then a recompile will help.

But I do agree, you should run rhythmbox from your user account. If it still doesn't work, then delete the .rhythmbox folder under your home folder. That will delete your settings, and allow you to open it clean.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry