Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was quite pleased when I found out Gentoo now has a graphical installer from a live cd so I thought I would give it a try, but I can't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gentoo 2006.0 graphical installer

I was quite pleased when I found out Gentoo now has a graphical installer from a live cd so I thought I would give it a try, but I can't get it to work. I can run through the wizard and get to the end and click finish, then it says “Setting root password … root password set” and then nothing happens. Has anyone had any experiences with this?

My PC is an AMD Athlon 2100, 1Gb of RAM and an Nvidia GeForce 4 graphics card. All my hardware was detected perfectly by the live CD.
    Registered Linux user #389109
    My Semi-Linux Blog

Did you set a root password during the wizard?

I have heard a lot of people complain about the new installer.
    This is only the 2nd release, so I guess there are still quite a few bugs to work out.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

I too had that exact trouble. The furthest I got (note, I have never had it actually work) was by using the "Text mode" graphical installer, and NOT letting it auto-configure my network settings.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i couldn't even get past the partitioning in that installer. as far as i could tell it just doesn't work.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Did you set a root password during the wizard?

I have heard a lot of people complain about the new installer.
    This is only the 2nd release, so I guess there are still quite a few bugs to work out.
    Yep I did set a root password. I read in the release notes that it is still under heavy development, so I guess I shouldn't expect too much.

I tried this again last night on a different computer, this time it got much further. I think it was on the last step, emerging packages, ahd had done 35 of 350 (or something) when I got a failure message. At least this time I can boot my system without the CD and get to a CLI.
    Registered Linux user #389109
    My Semi-Linux Blog

Just Joined!

Gentoo Installer

As was said earlier, the gentoo installer just isn't working yet. They are still Beta testing it, and I've gotten no further than the password setting. This just doesn't work yet. Some have gotten it to work, reportedly, but I've yet to see it try to set the network settings.... lol

i have completed it many times but i know what not to do and it is still way pre release though it is easier to get your hands on now.......like rite there on the mirrors
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

give it a try

I just downloaded it and am going t give it a try on 2 systems. A mini-itx box VIA 800mhz 1 gig ram and a complex box with 2.8ghz HT intel 865 with TV cards, sound blaster 5.1, media readers....etc. Should be interesting. From what I've seen of gentoo, I really like it. Now I just have to get it installed.

Linux Engineer
    Just gave it a try myself, but as most other distros, it really garbled my sound card settings, and as always, except with Debian and OpenBSD, I had to recompile my kernel, which is something new with 2006 Gentoo, as previoiusly it wasn't there. Maybe with their new graphical install gentoo is turning into redhat?
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    The graphical installer is just way to make the install go faster... not really easier at all, but I tried it and it worked fine for me.

Also, on Gentoo using a non-compiled kernel is usually odd. Genkernel is niceand all, but give me a custom one any day, especially on a machine that has everything else custom compiled

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast