Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey I am new to linux and gentoo. Currently in college for linux(part of the required list) And i just cant seem to get linux to install. Can someone please ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Hey new User to Linux and Gentoo..Help

Hey I am new to linux and gentoo. Currently in college for linux(part of the required list) And i just cant seem to get linux to install. Can someone please send me Direction on how to, Or something like that. i want to install Gentoo. Thanks. [edited by moderator took out [b][I]]
    Last edited by loft306; 04-08-2006 at 02:02 AM.

I would suggest that if you are new to linux, try installing Ubuntu or SuSE first, then get the hang of it, then install Gentoo.

But, if you are dead set on installing Gentoo, then there is only one real way. Go to http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml, and follow the instructions.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Gentoo would be too tricky for you. It requires a lot of experience (and knowledge) to get it working. Try starting with Fedora or SuSE first and hack them before trying Gentoo. Sorry Gruven but at a personal level I feel Ubuntu should not be used by beginers, not because it is hard but because I don't see much scope for learning there. (No offence inteded.)

In case of problems you know where to come >>>linuxforums!!!
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Quote Originally Posted by apoorv_khurasia
    Gentoo would be too tricky for you. It requires a lot of experience (and knowledge) to get it working. Try starting with Fedora or SuSE first and hack them before trying Gentoo. Sorry Gruven but at a personal level I feel Ubuntu should not be used by beginers, not because it is hard but because I don't see much scope for learning there. (No offence inteded.)

In case of problems you know where to come >>>linuxforums!!!
    It is very easy, but for new linux users, it is nice for things to just work. It is a great introduction to the debian world.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!

Smile Hey guys thanks for he help...

I've played with Suse and Unbutu and fedora. I was wanting more of a challenge and lerning base to farther my knowlegde. I am wanting to learn to program for the linux comunity. I have 15+ years wih computers but that was mostly windows. Wich as we all know sucks. Thanks for the help guys. I like this comunity way better than windows.
    Last edited by techieMoe; 04-10-2006 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetr4life
    I've played with Suse and Unbutu and fedora. I was wanting more of a challenge and lerning base to farther my knowlegde. I am wanting to learn to program for the linux comunity. I have 15+ years wih computers but that was mostly windows. Wich as we all know sucks. Thanks for the help guys. I like this comunity way better than windows.
    You should try out Debian then. It doesn't configure things for you, but it is binary based so there is no compile times.

If you want Gentoo though, then I am sure we can help you get it installed and running. Just follow the handbook and let us know how you are doing. Please don't use the GUI installer, because it is still in alpha stages, and can leave you with an incomplete system. You will learn more doing a CLI install anyway.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Newbie
    Using linux comes really complicated when you dig deeper and deeper inside. And that's why you should not try too difficult things at first. Learn the basics. Then you can dig deeper. And, you don't need to use Gentoo if you want experience. I used Debian for a long time before moving to Gentoo. Okay, for example runlevel configuration and package manager are totally different, but still - the basis is the same. And so is with SuSE, Ubuntu and Fedora.

- One adding, do NOT use that graphical installer. It sucks and so does the whole new graphical install/livecd, I think. If you want experience, do as gruven said - get the manual and make the original textmode install.

And the worst thing you can do - ask for others to make things for you. I meet daily such lamers who just say "can you do this and this and this for me". Helping is different thing than making everything ready (this was only a side-comment because many have asked me just for example install Gentoo for them, and that's totally annoying - next day they say "oops I formatted the disk and installed windows sorry").

Have fun with linux!

Just Joined!

Smile Yea I agree with ya

If you want to learn then yea you should do it your self and only get help when needed last resort kinda things. yea i ant to do it my self. i was just nit sure how all that work.. A friend from class helped me with a few commands i couldn't get top work so now im up and runing and doing great. thanks for the inputs....

I guess everyone has their recommendation so I'll give mine. I believe Simply Mepis and SuSE are two very good distros for the new Linux user to start out with. Both are intuitive enough to keep you moving forward without becoming too frustrated, yet challenging enough to keep you engaged.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Linux Newbie
    Yea, and for a little focusement I didn't say that you are this kind of dumb. I just warned to not be dumb. And PLEASE take these [B] and [I] away..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast