Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This has confused me more than (almost) anything else to do with Linux ever. Xmms won't play audio cd's. It is set to the correct directory in the settings, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Only totem will play audio cd's

This has confused me more than (almost) anything else to do with Linux ever.

Xmms won't play audio cd's. It is set to the correct directory in the settings, but the cd's files don't show up. In some cases, it crashes with no error message(s). The audio cd player for gnome works, but there is no sound.

Finally, totem works perfectly with audio cd's, but the last track screws up big time.

Recompile of xmms & audio cd player/change of use flags? Although, I have noticed instability recently in a few apps. Especially when resizing there windows (firefox,OOo,nautilus?). But that's real off topic.

~the_weedman
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Just Joined!

xmms-cdaudio

I had some problems myself with playing audio cd's. I finally got it to work with xmms-cdaudio set to digital extraction.

Have you upgraded your compiler lately without updating the toolchain? Maybe some programs compiled with a different version?

Also, maybe the different programs you are using aren't using the same backend. I know totem can be made to use xine or gstreamer.

Maybe it is esd, or gnome-volume-manager.

If it were me, I would make sure everything was compiled with the same compiler, and the toolchain was updated. If you haven't done that, then look on the forums for the emwrap.sh script. You can update your toolchain, system, and world with it. You can do that, or you can do a "revdep-rebuild" and see if your linking is consistant.

I could be way off base, but if I have problems with almost anything, that is what I try first. It could also be a permissions problem, so check your groups.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I don't think that the toolchain is to blame, though I did upgrade gcc within the first few hours of running Gentoo on my system.

I think it is like what hkBst said about Digital audio extraction. Is their a way to configure other programs to use this method?

Instructions for xmms aren't required, as it is WAY too unstable in Gentoo for any real use. It's a shame, because VLC does almost the exact same thing (at least with version 0.8.4a or b).

weed

If you upgraded your GCC a version number (such as 3.3 to 3.4 or to 4.*) then you will NEED to rebuild your toolchain and then rebuild the toolchain again from the rebuild toolchain. Then, if you haven't, you need to recompile your world (emerge -e world) to rebuild your programs for stability. Not doing this will cause unstable apps like you mentioned earlier. When you upgraded GCC without rebuilding the toolchain, you are using an un-optimized compiler and is could make possibly broken binaries.

I don't know what is wrong (your original problem) because I don't use xmms. I use totem and listen, and I don't usually listen to audio cd's. I usually just rip them to the hard drive. I will try some audio cd's though, to see if I can do it.

*edit*
    Totem plays my audio cd's fine. Gnome cd player doesn't play them from my usb dvd-rw, but then again, I never really got gnome cd player to work anyway.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Which command would I use to rebuild the toochain?

I followed the instructions for upgrading gcc on Gentoo's website. If the toolchain is as serious as you put it as being, then surely it would have been a step in those instructions somewhere...

Just in case, notify me if rebuilding the toolchain isn't in these steps: Here, Section 4.

After having a quick read through that, it appears that I didn't run
    Code:
    emerge -e world
    or anything like that.

But emerge -e would take forever. This is on a laptop, mind you. Is there any alternative?

weed

Quote Originally Posted by Weedman
    Which command would I use to rebuild the toochain?

I followed the instructions for upgrading gcc on Gentoo's website. If the toolchain is as serious as you put it as being, then surely it would have been a step in those instructions somewhere...

Just in case, notify me if rebuilding the toolchain isn't in these steps: Here, Section 4.

After having a quick read through that, it appears that I didn't run
    Code:
    emerge -e world
    or anything like that.

But emerge -e would take forever. This is on a laptop, mind you. Is there any alternative?

weed
    Yes, there is an alternative. Do a search for "emwrap.sh" on the gentoo forums. It will rebuild your toolchain for you, and update it if necessary. It comes with it's own documentation.

Although, I think since you didn't recompile anything when you upgraded your compiler, an "emerge -e system && emerge -e system && emerge -e world" would do the best for you. That way, everything on your computer will be recompiled into stable binaries. I know it will take a while, but it will be worth it. You will notice a big speed up with optimized binaries.

I too, have a laptop, and am running GCC 4.1 on it, and everything is rebuild with it. It only took a day or two to rebuild the system and world, although I do have distcc and about 3 other computers helping it out. Ccache will help a lot also.

But, be warned, that it may have nothing to do with your problem. I figrued it might since you said that some other programs were having stability problems though.

And yes, rebuilding the toolchain is included in that how-to, it is the "emerge -eav system" and "emerge -eav world". That will get everything rebuild very nicely.

One more thing. The toolchain is about equal in importance in Gentoo as baselayout. Since it is a source based distro, everything depends on your compiler, and how it compiles.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    Rebuilding toolchain is done by one "emerge -e system". Then your toolchain is completely up to date. Of course nothing on your system is compiled WITH the new toolchain, and for that an "emerge -e world" will do. That includes rebuilding the toolchain with itself. There is no need for another intermediate "emerge -e system". Of course don't forget to switch your compiler to the one you want to use. "eselect compiler show/list/set" or gcc-config depending on your system.

Quote Originally Posted by hkBst
    Rebuilding toolchain is done by one "emerge -e system". Then your toolchain is completely up to date. Of course nothing on your system is compiled WITH the new toolchain, and for that an "emerge -e world" will do. That includes rebuilding the toolchain with itself. There is no need for another intermediate "emerge -e system". Of course don't forget to switch your compiler to the one you want to use. "eselect compiler show/list/set" or gcc-config depending on your system.
    Yeah, it isn't needed, but I usually upgrade my compiler on new installs without anything on them, so I just do the "emerge -e system && emerge -e system".

One thing though, is that rebuilding your system doesn't really rebuild things in the correct order. That is what the "emwrap.sh" script is for. I have used it and it is very nice. Doing it by "emerge -e system && emerge -e world" wouldn't really rebuild the world and the other various things you need with an optimized compiler. You first need to rebuild the toolchain with an optimized toolchain then rebuild your world. That is why I recommended to do "emerge -e system" twice. Once, to rebuild your toolchain with a new compiler, then the second time to rebuild your toolchain with the correctly built compiler, and then the "emerge -e world" to rebuild your whole system.

The emwrap.sh script will do all of that for you, in the correct order, and cut out a lot of unnecessary steps. It could possibly save you a day of compiling.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

How do I do it?

I've got the file, and run it with the options "-wuDbp". It's only picking up stuff to update in the world target.

If I run it without "-p", would it automatically rebuild the toolchain?

weed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast