Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Exactly what it is in the title. Every time I exit X to the command line, the monitor goes all weird. I don't know whether it is the refresh rate, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Urgent:Exit The X server & my monitor goes psycho!

Exactly what it is in the title.

Every time I exit X to the command line, the monitor goes all weird. I don't know whether it is the refresh rate, but it doesn't look like a resolution issue.

Another thing. When the monitor supposably blanks in commandline mode, it plays up too. But I can then at least press a key to make it go back to normal (to wake it up, kinda).

My first suspicion lies with gensplash, although it has worked fine in the past.

I'm desperate!
    ~the_weedman
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

:bump:

This IS driving me mad. I am wondering whether this could be because of the old version of the drivers the gentoo documentation thingy told me to install.

~the_weedman

Could be the ATI drivers... it did gave me "similar" trouble when exiting X in the past (now I have an NVIDIA).

You have an ATI video card right?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Oops. I forgot to mention it in my first post.

I have a Nvidia TNT2 AGP graphics card. Funnily enough, my radeon mobility gpu in my laptop actually works, considering I used the same method of installing for both of the cards. The driver install was the only difference.

Thanks antidrugue for making me clear that up.

~the_weedman

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedman
    Exactly what it is in the title.

Every time I exit X to the command line, the monitor goes all weird. I don't know whether it is the refresh rate, but it doesn't look like a resolution issue.

Another thing. When the monitor supposably blanks in commandline mode, it plays up too. But I can then at least press a key to make it go back to normal (to wake it up, kinda).

My first suspicion lies with gensplash, although it has worked fine in the past.

I'm desperate!
    ~the_weedman

Couple'a guesses about your config:

1. You are using the proprietary NVidia drivers
    2. You have framebuffer console enabled
    3. The in-kernel framebuffer driver you selected was the NVidia one.

If this is the case (this also seems to affect people using ATI cards and the proprietary ATI X driver), for the kernel framebuffer support, deselect your card-specific driver (NVidia, in your case), and use the VESA framebuffer driver - either vesa-tng (much better than the "regular" vesa driver, but only works on 32 bit gentoo-sources x86 kernels), or just the regular vesa driver (if you aren't using a gentoo-sources kernel, or if you're using a 64 bit kernel).

The actual issue is related to the proprietary X driver not playing well with the in-kernel framebuffer driver - they have sharing issues (specifically video memory sharing issues, if *my* memory is working correctly )

HTH-

James

1. yes
    2. yes
    3. no

I think that the sheer fact I am using vesa-tng & old NVIDIA drivers (7174), is causing the problem. I think that if i switched to vesabf only, it might work, but I am very short of time.

Thanks for your response ausmusj1

~weed

Just Joined!
    1. yes
    2. yes
    3. no

I think that the sheer fact I am using vesa-tng & old NVIDIA drivers (7174), is causing the problem. I think that if i switched to vesabf only, it might work, but I am very short of time.

Thanks for your response ausmusj1

~weed
    I have had good luck with recent NVidia drivers (1.0.81* or higher) and vesafb-tng - what happens if you upgrade nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx?

-James

I don't think that the 81*+ drivers work with a TNT2.

I can give it a shot though.

Just Joined!
    I don't think that the 81*+ drivers work with a TNT2.

I can give it a shot though.

Well, theoretically (just checked NVidia's website), TNT2 is still supported under the latest (1.0.8756)... They might not have updated their documentation however - let me know how it goes.

-James

Thanks A LOT for That.

I will go and get the latest drivers now (while I'm updating everything).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast