Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hrmm... Having some issues getting SMP enabled on my HP Kayak xm600 with dual pIII 533's. I've used the Gentoo Livecd 2006.0 and verified using uname -a and the gui ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SMP kernel not installed

Hrmm... Having some issues getting SMP enabled on my HP Kayak xm600 with dual pIII 533's. I've used the Gentoo Livecd 2006.0 and verified using uname -a and the gui system moniter that two processors are installed and working. I've attempted a genkernel all --install which took forever and finally completed but it doesn't look like it installed a smp kernel.

I'm recompiliing using the --menuconfig --install options to verify that all the smp features are enabled before I have the system redo all this work. I also disabled smt support since this system is too old for hyperthreading. Finally Nvidia Riva\Geforce support was enabled since I'm using a Nvidia mx440.

I'm going to let this run hoping for the best. I'll post back here once I have some results. Am I missing anything?

Just Joined!
    Okdokey... no success...

Rebooting the system after 'genkernel --menuconfig --install all' did not in fact yield the installation of a smp aware kernel as I hoped. Grr... now what?

Well, I'm not familiar at all with genkernel, but you should be able to check manually to see if the SMP options are selected.

Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig
    Processor Type and Features --> Symmetric multi-processing support
    Ensure that it is actually enabled. If it is, then I'm not entirely sure what to do. If it's not, you might be best off compiling the kernel by hand.

Also, what is the output of "uname -r"?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    Well, I'm not familiar at all with genkernel, but you should be able to check manually to see if the SMP options are selected.

Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig
    Processor Type and Features --> Symmetric multi-processing support
    Ensure that it is actually enabled. If it is, then I'm not entirely sure what to do. If it's not, you might be best off compiling the kernel by hand.

Also, what is the output of "uname -r"?
    Well, I discovered what I was doing wrong when I read this page. I needed to emerge grub and tell it about the kernel I just created. After doing that I installed grub to the mbr and attempted a reboot. All was well untill...

'chroot: cannot execute /bin/sh: no such file or directory' followed by a nice, reassuring 'kernel panic'

So... all in all I'm pleased to be making progress yet sense I'm somehow not done yet. Anyone want to save me hours in Google? I'm very humbly accepting suggestions.

Just Joined!
    Oh, the good news is before the kernel panics it does flash up that it located both cpu's!! Success!!

kind of.

Just Joined!
    what is the correct entry for fstab?? just before I get the 'chroot: cannot execute /bin/sh: no such file or directory' followed by a nice, reassuring 'kernel panic' error it attempts to 'mkdir /newroot/tmp' which fails with ( if I remember correctly ) a read only error.

Could this be causes by an incorrect entry in the fstab regarding the mounting the boot device? Gah!!

Well, please post up the /boot/grub/menu.lst, /etc/fstab, and the output of "fdisk -l". This way, we can see where the error is.

Note that you'll need to use a LiveCD to do this stuff. Use chroot to switch into the HD that Gentoo / is installed on, and then look for the files, and the command.

Just Joined!

Arrow

Ok, I've covered a ton of ground already, but I can't seem to knock this out. Here's the error:

>> Booting (initramfs)...
    chroot: cannot execute /bin/sh: No such file or directory
    kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init

Here's the grub.conf file
    default 0
    timeout 10

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.14-r2
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/kernel-henkernel-x86-2.6.14-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=dev/hda3 udev
    initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.14-gentoo-r2

Here's the fstab file
    /dev/hda1 / ext3 noatime
    /dev/hda3 /var/media ext3 noatime
    /dev/hda2 none swap sw
    /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 iso9660 noauto,ro
    none /proc proc defaults
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults

And finally, here's the output of fdisk -l
    Disk /dev/hda: 320.00 gb, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
    units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280
    device boot start end blocks id system
    /dev/hda1 * 1 406 3266163+ 83 linux
    /dev/hda2 407 439 257040 82 linux swap
    /dav/hda2 406 38913 309050437+ 83 linux

sorry, the input box seems to have messed up the formating a bit. I used the ultimate boot cd to boot into RIP linux boot disk. Pulled all the info from there.

Just Joined!
    due to lack of responses to this issue I have simply repartitioned the disk and started over. this is not a failure oon linuxforums.org's member's part as no other forums were helpful either. Apparently I really broke the dang thing.

well, since you're starting again, i recommend a manual kernel. just make sure you know what's in your computer and you should be ok. it also avoids a lot of problems with grub and the genkernel in general.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast