Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, everybody. I'm not really sure how well this topic fits into this particular thread but I feel it's appropriate; (well, this and the hardware forum - double-post; sorry). I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Will Gentoo solve my problems..?

Hi, everybody. I'm not really sure how well this topic fits into this particular thread but I feel it's appropriate; (well, this and the hardware forum - double-post; sorry). I used to have an AMD Athlon 64 , socket 754 with a Radeon x700 Pro. Suse 10 worked fine; Mandriva 2006 worked fine. Then, I built a new machine with a Dual-Core Opteron 195 and [at first] an x800xl; now, a crossfire with two x800s. NOTHING WORKS. Suse zapped the MBR on one of my hard drives and never would install and Mandriva just gets into this infinite loop with, what appears to be, the graphics drivers or something 'cause it keeps flashing on and off FOREVER until I cut the power. RedHat does the same thing. Now, the general "word on the street" seems to be that Gentoo will be the solution to all my annoying Linux problems but I'm not sure.
    Have any of you, out there, got any ideas regarding what's going on and which release is best taylored to my machine? Thanks, in advance, for any responses..!

Linux Engineer
    I have a similar setup and have used gentoo, debian, and openbsd without issue
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

I'm unsing gentoo (stage 1) with my Athlon 64 (S939), nvidia gfx. And in simple terms, gentoo can be as "best taylored" as you wish But IMO, gentoo is the best for AMD64, since esp. stage 1, allows for total optimization for your CPU. Also, there are portage overlays with glibc 2.4 whith optimizations for AMD64 CPUs, there's also a qt overlay with enhancements, etc, etc
    Otho, the disadvantage of gentoo is that it takes mroe time to install - for stage1 you have to compile every single package you want, the trade of is that you more or less get to choose every single one (well, some are depencies which you can't opt out, but what OS doesn't have depencies? (some depend on libs, other AV software, some need external firewall software, others got it build in the kernel ))

also, a word of warning, it's tempting to set new fun cflags/cxxflags and ldflags, just remember, some will break stuff, eg my LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,-z,combreloc -Wl,-z,now -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--sort-common" broke a few packages, specifically the "--as-needed", but that's documented and I submitted a bug report (with a quick fix) for one of the apps that doesn't like --as-needed (heimdal #130464, which btw is bother som,e to install since many apps still depends on mit-krb5 instead of the virtual... but that's nothing you'll run in to unless you specifically want to emerge heimdal )

(btw, you can delete your own threads when you cross-post/double-post, I took care of it now though.)
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Not sure if this will solve your problem, but I had a similar situation where I could not get any distro to install.
    Windows would not install either.
    I set the BIOS to failsafe defaults, and that fixed the problem.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by scientica
    also, a word of warning, it's tempting to set new fun cflags/cxxflags and ldflags, just remember, some will break stuff, eg my LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,-z,combreloc -Wl,-z,now -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--sort-common" broke a few packages, specifically the "--as-needed", but that's documented and I submitted a bug report (with a quick fix) for one of the apps that doesn't like --as-needed (heimdal #130464, which btw is bother som,e to install since many apps still depends on mit-krb5 instead of the virtual... but that's nothing you'll run in to unless you specifically want to emerge heimdal )

(btw, you can delete your own threads when you cross-post/double-post, I took care of it now though.)
    I greatly appreciate your posts [all of you] but, I suppose I failed to mention, compared to you all, I'm a total linux newbie. I know, like, 4 commands in the terminal and THAT'S IT! So, that stuff with flags and package compilation - all Greek to me. I'm actually a little worried about installing Gentoo, now, because I fear I'll come to a point where I HAVE NO IDEA what to do...
    In fact, it just came to my attention a couple of weeks ago that "double-clicking an RPM" isn't how you install it... However, I will give Gentoo the old college try; it couldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by GameDr04
    I greatly appreciate your posts [all of you] but, I suppose I failed to mention, compared to you all, I'm a total linux newbie. I know, like, 4 commands in the terminal and THAT'S IT! So, that stuff with flags and package compilation - all Greek to me. I'm actually a little worried about installing Gentoo, now, because I fear I'll come to a point where I HAVE NO IDEA what to do...
    Well, if you follow the gentoo installation documentation, and for your first time, begin with a stage 3 ("do most of it") install (you can try stage 1 ("do it all"), but the risc of getting stuck is much greater), if you follow the documents to the T (and have a little luck), you should be striking gold and end up with a nice Gentoo install . And You should pay attension to the section about setting up irssi (IRC client), and then connect to irc.freenode.net ( typing "/server irc.freenode.net" in irssi), and then when you've seen a lot of text scrolling by after a few seconds of waiting, type "/join #linuxforums" - and then when you run in to problems, just ask in the channel and hopegully someone will be around and able to help you.
    If gentoo fails for you you can try unbuntu, I've never tried it my self, but I've heard that it's a quite simple distro, though, as it doens't install gcc etc (developpment tool) by default it's not appealing to me (beeing a dev )

And, if the machine you're playing with has no "important stuff" on it, eg, accidentally wiping the disk wouldn't do any "damage" then there's no worry, if you get stuck all you have to do is install something else/someother distrobution

In fact, it just came to my attention a couple of weeks ago that "double-clicking an RPM" isn't how you install it... However, I will give Gentoo the old college try; it couldn't hurt.
    what? not double clicking? :P (I thought that one could do it (read: thougt they had associated it with with some nice front end for rpm), otho, when I used fedora last time I did all the installation from the CLI (Command Line Interface), that is (iirc) "sudo rpm -ivh package.rpm", back them I think "yum" was new(iirc they started to replace the prevois package manager, or maybe it was just a name change, long time ago) (I had used the CLI and other front ends))
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Heh, the gentoo handbook here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...book-amd64.xml
    has all the ansawers that you seek! you will findout that gentoo has an experimental gui installer that i dont recomend at this time and especialy not for your system..... as far as not knowing anything other than that you are a noob that is ok since gentoo has the best documentation going and if you follow the handbook exactly the system will work... it will be a pain but you will learn the most with gentoo in the shortest amount of time
    Now not to scare you but when it comes to setting up x it will be a pain but when you are done WOW it will be nice!

loft306 has a few amd64's (one is a lappie) and is working on buying parts for something like what you are installing on...
    Last edited by loft306; 04-27-2006 at 05:50 AM.
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org