Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm installing Gentoo from the 2006.0 minimal CD. Following the online instructions (I think.) to the letter I get this response when I run emerge --sync Notice: (-3, 'Temporary failure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem with first emerge --sync

I'm installing Gentoo from the 2006.0 minimal CD. Following the online instructions (I think.) to the letter I get this response when I run emerge --sync

Notice: (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')
    >>> starting rsync with rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage...
    >>> checking server timestamp ...
    rsync: getaddrinfo: rsync.gentoo.org 873: Temporary failure in name resolution
    rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(8
    >>> retry ...

>>> Starting retry 1 of 3 with rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    >>> retry ...

>>> Starting retry 2 of 3 with rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    >>> retry ...

>>> Starting retry 3 of 3 with rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage

!!! Rsync has not successfully finished. It is recommended that you keep
    !!! trying or that you use the 'emerge-webrsync' option if you are unable
    !!! to use rsync due to firewall or other restrictions. This should be a
    !!! temporary problem unless complications exist with your network
    !!! (and possibly your system's filesystem) configuration.

I did the cp command for the resolve.conf and when I less /etc/resolve.conf I get
    domain: myactualdomain.net followed by a line with the address of the DNS server for my LAN

When I go to another machine and type nslookup rsync.gentoo.org it comes back with a bunch of addresses so I know my DNS server is doing its job correctly.

It seems to me that the Gentoo install environment somehow can't talk to the server. (BTW...I know the networking is good because the same machine that does DNS is also my DHCP server and I can ping it and IP addresses out on the net.

While I understand to a degree what I have have done thus far, I don't understand it well enough to know what didn't work right to try to fix and I am hesitant to just "do stuff over" in an attempt to fix.

Any suggestions on fixing this error?

TIA

can you ping something like google?

Code:
    ping -c2 google.com
    if not then your internet is definetly not working and it must have something to do with when you copied over the resolv.conf especially if your internet was working before you chroot into your new environment.

are you sure that you used this exact command?

Code:
    cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf
    edit: to get out of chroot just type exit in command line then try copying over resolv.conf again and then do chroot steps again and try pinging.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    I didn't. When I typed in the cp command I made the target resolve.conf with an "e." When checked the contents I typed "less /mn<tab>gen<tab>et<tab>reso<tab> <enter>" and it completed the incorrectly spelled filename just like it was supposed to. I fixed it and am already up to configuring the kernel.

Thanks.

no problem hope the install goes well I'm currently doing a fresh install on a thinkpad t30 I just got with gcc 4.1 and ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86". Right now just in the process of emerge -e system.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the post, I made the exact same mistake. i couldn't understand why I could resolve domain names before chroot, but not after. Didn't notice the extra 'e'. Cheers