Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got Gentoo installed onto my system and used the instructions under “Default: Setting up GRUB using grub-install” on http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...p=10#doc_chap2 It told me to do a few things and then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

grub> after reboot. Now what?

I got Gentoo installed onto my system and used the instructions under “Default: Setting up GRUB using grub-install” on http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...p=10#doc_chap2

It told me to do a few things and then type reboot. I did. The system came up and said "grub>" This is not what was supposed to happen. I went and read some online help and figured out that I should be able to boot the system from the grub> prompt *if* I know what to do. I typed root (hd0,0) (My /root partition is on sda1 so this seemed right.) and it didn't complain.

Now it appears I am supposed to type "kernel <kernel>" I think my kernel version is kernel-2.6.16-r3 but I am not sure A) if this is the right file and B) where it is, since the grub> prompt keeps saying "Error 15: File not found"

I think I am on the right path but I can't tell how to find out what exactly it is looking for.

Any suggestions concerning how to fix this would be appreciated.

Linux Newbie
    Something like this
    grub> root (hd0,1)
    grub> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro vga=791
    grub> boot

replace (hd0,1), vmlinuz and /dev/sda2 with correct values. You can hit the tab key to display possible values.
    Elive,kanotix-mini,pclinuxos super gamer,xp, sidux

Thumbs up

You could just reboot with the gentoo install cd then mount your partitons and chroot into the environment and reinstall grub with the second method in the handbook which is
    Code:
    grub --no-floppy (only use no floppy if you don't have a floppy)
    root (hd0,0)
    setup (hd0)
    quit
    reboot

for mounting and chroot quick and dirty directions
    Code:
    mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo
    mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
    swapon /dev/sda2
    chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
    env-update && source /etc/profile
    then grub stuff

this is assuming that /dev/sda3 = /
    /dev/sda1 = /boot
    /dev/sda2 = swap

so if this is not your setup adjust accordingly

also make sure your grub.conf is written properly shoud look something like this

Code:
    default 0
    timeout 30

splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/kernel-name root=/dev/sda3 ro   -----only put ro if your root partition is jfs
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close