Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running 2.6.16-gentoo-r6 and I was emerging my world to a new kernel. Somewhere in the process the power failed, and now when I boot the system the last step ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

emerge failed, boot prompt _gone_!

I'm running 2.6.16-gentoo-r6 and I was emerging my world to a new kernel. Somewhere in the process the power failed, and now when I boot the system the last step is missing.

I.e., I get a terminal and a username prompt, but that's it. There's a carriage return, a pause, and another carriage return and then a username prompt again.

I've booted with the minimal install cd, chrooted, and re-emerged my system and my world, but i'm stilling having this problem. passwd is functional, but doesn't change the problem.back?

where did my password prompt go, and how can I get it back?

thanks!

Just Joined!
    Have you tried booting the install CD, chrooting, and doing an etc-update? Sounds like a pam/shadow issue, to me...

If etc-update doesn't fix it, let me know, I'll look into it further.

-James

Just Joined!
    oh, you just gave me a big clue.

I've etc-updated several times since I re-emerged all my packages, but when I first was emerging the system I had an pam/shadow were blocking each other. I removed both and then emerged each one seperately, I think.

hmmm, when i emerged pam, I got a message to restart sshd, otherwise I might have login problems. Think this is it? (I don't know how to restart sshd, it complains of a lack of keys)

thanks!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by katiemeep!
    oh, you just gave me a big clue.

I've etc-updated several times since I re-emerged all my packages, but when I first was emerging the system I had an pam/shadow were blocking each other. I removed both and then emerged each one seperately, I think.

hmmm, when i emerged pam, I got a message to restart sshd, otherwise I might have login problems. Think this is it? (I don't know how to restart sshd, it complains of a lack of keys)

thanks!

OK, you should have both pam and shadow installed, (I have pam-0.78-r5, and shadow-4.0.15 - I run ~x86, so your versions might be a little bit different) - make sure that the "pam" USE flag is set for shadow (boot into LiveCD, chroot, emerge -pv pam shadow), and make sure pam-login is *not* installed. Here is the output of my emerge -pv pam shadow (for USE flag comparison, if you want it):

Code:
    [ebuild   R   ] sys-libs/pam-0.78-r5  USE="berkdb nis pam_chroot pam_console pam_timestamp pwdb" 8,647 kB
    [ebuild   R   ] sys-apps/shadow-4.0.15  USE="nls pam skey -nousuid" 0 kB
    And, of course, don't forget the etc-update if you have to re-emerge anything.

Let me know if that helps-

James

Linux Engineer
    hehe, I had this issue once when manually updateing my /etc/passwd file to change a certain users default shell, I put the wrong command in and the same issue happened. Let us know how you fix the issue, when you do
    Operating System: GNU Emacs