Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, Amateur Gentooist here. So in a nutshell, I am currently running a stage3 package of the AMD64 gentoo lineup. Im up to the point where I have kde/fluxbox/dr.17/etc up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs down multiple cdroms, permissions, and copy protection

Hey, Amateur Gentooist here.

So in a nutshell, I am currently running a stage3 package of the AMD64 gentoo lineup. Im up to the point where I have kde/fluxbox/dr.17/etc up and running, however, Im having some noobish issues accessing my cdroms. I have one regular old CDROM and i have a CDRW drive.

As per my fstab and essentially my system in general, I can only see one of the drives.

Here is what my fstab shows for you guys

/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
    /dev/hda3 / reiserfs notail,noatime 0 1
    /dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hdb1 /mnt/ntfs ntfs user,ro,umask=0133,dmask=000 0 0

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0
    #/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto 0 0

so obviously, me second logical step is to put my second cdrom in to the fstab. Unfortunately, I have no clue how to mount it up. I am confident the drive is /dev/cdrom1 as I see it in the system, but do I mount it to /mnt/cdrom as well? do i have to make another folder called /mnt/cdrom1 and mount it there?

Second, attempting to be a linux gamer, I found out (via cedega) that 'only root can mount /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 to /mnt/cdrom'.

This brings up a few more questions for me.

for permissions, would I set it up much like my ntfs drive, and add the user,ro,umask=0133,dmask=000 to each drive as well? or do other masks have to be put on for these type of drives

and also, cedega says /dev/cdroms/cdrom0, when my system only shows /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrom1 and /dev/cdrw. Did I set something up wrong in the installation?

I know I am asking a lot, but any assistance on any of these issues would be really appreciated

Just Joined!

Post Updates

The first obstacle I got passed is the cdroms.

/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
    /dev/hda3 / reiserfs notail,noatime 0 1
    /dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hdb1 /mnt/ntfs ntfs user,ro,umask=0133,dmask=000 0 0

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0
    #/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto 0 0
    As you can see from my fstab, I had my cdrom as the basic installation. first i started ls'ing what was in my dev folder

ls /dev/cd[tabx2]
    I found

/dev/cdrom0 /dev/cdrom1 /dev/cdrw
    so my first big problem (and the problem cedega was having) was that in my fstab, i had my cdrom drive located at '/dev/cdroms/cdrom0' instead of '/dev/cdrom0'

the second thing was the tags I had for the cdrom.
    Initially, I just did a straightforward copy of the ntfs permissions, but it was messy, and gave me permission issues, so I went with:

/dev/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro,noexec,user 0 0
    after changing that, and running env-update, my drive began auto-mounting

Now for my second CDROM:

What I did first was make a seperate folder in the mount directory called cdrom1

mkdir /mnt/cdrom1
    Then I opened up Vim and changed my fstab

vim /etc/fstab
    I added in

/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 iso9660 noauto,ro,noexec,user 0 0
    Now both are being read fine, and mount as soon as any media is in.

This is probably basic information, but hopefully, this proves helpful to others who may be having the same, or similar issue