Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm installing gentoo 2006.0 on a vaio laptop 850mhz pentium 3 via a stage 3 install/stage 3 tarball. I read read read before the install and believe I had everything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Freezing during install

I'm installing gentoo 2006.0 on a vaio laptop 850mhz pentium 3 via a stage 3 install/stage 3 tarball. I read read read before the install and believe I had everything configured correctly before clicking "install."
    On the first try I had it run through the night. In the morning I noticed it had frozen at the Installing additional packages section during the 'emerging mozilla (75/120)' or something. So I let it sit for about an hour and gave up. I closed the install window and restarted the computer. Grub showed gentoo and even allowed me to boot it to the login screen. I got a fatal error when starting X so I decided to try the install again.
    So last night I started the process over again. Re-entered and re-selected everything and hit install. It ran all night, and upon checking it this morning I saw it was at the Installing additional packages part again, this time at the "Emerging app-office/openoffice-2.0.2-r1 (103/120)" It looked frozen, but I thought maybe I was just impatient last time and didn't give it enough time to emerge the apps. So I've let this thing sit all day. I just got back home, it's been 9 hours, and the thing is still stuck. And worse, now the entire computer is frozen. Can't even get the cursor to move or the cd drive to open. The weirdest part though - is that the clock is still working, but it fast forwarded itself. It used to be correct, but now it's 4 hours fast.
    So my question is this - why is my install freezing up everything but my clock, which mysteriously moved up 4 hours? I'm quite confused...
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

the error with the clock usually is seen when DMA is not turned on for the hard drive.

what i suggest you do is tell it to just install the base system without any extra packages, get DMA running and then try emerging whatever extra packages e.g. X, KDE, OO, FF etc.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

I know it's rather off the topic, but OO took me 9 1/2 hours to compile from source on my 1.8ghz laptop with 256mb ram. And it takes up a hell of a lot of disk space when compiling (took me 3-4gb).
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    the error with the clock usually is seen when DMA is not turned on for the hard drive.

what i suggest you do is tell it to just install the base system without any extra packages, get DMA running and then try emerging whatever extra packages e.g. X, KDE, OO, FF etc.
    Alright I went ahead and did the install without any extra packages. It installed pretty quick - and the total status bar sais 'Install complete!'
    My only worry is that at the end it looks like I got an error:
    "ERROR! Could not add to runlevel default. returned a bad status code."

What does this mean? What failed?

I just rebooted and everything seemed to start up fine. No error and no fails. I was brought to the command prompt, logged in as root and edited my grub.conf with nano. So that's going well. Now I'll just need to make a new user and figure out what kinda stuff gentoo came with. A command line browser like links or something would be nice heh. This'll be good for now - who needs a wm? =)

by default a base install of gentoo doesn't come with anything extra other than common commands and things. Not even a command line browser.

Now to prevent the clock skew, make sure you turn on DMA before emerging necessary packages.

As for that error, I have never seen it before. Did it say something more like error <some program name> could not be added to default run level? if so what was that program?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

Freezing during install

Hi, I'm getting the same error the first guy is getting. The complete error I get is.

On the log page:
    GLI: June 13 2006 09:40:53 - ERROR! Could not add to runlevel default.
    returned a bad status code.

At the same time on the Output page I get:
    grub> quit
    Scanning Configuration files...
    Exiting: Nothing left to do; exiting.
    * /sbin/rc-update: at least two arguments expected after "add".

I haven't checked the DMA as suggested but I did try and boot and get..
    boot device unspecified and a prompt to enter a device or "shell"

It also says at the bottom of the window "Install Successful" or something like that.

Any idea what is the problem? I'm installing on a Dell 1750. Also 2006

Pat.

tky
    Just Joined!

Gentoo installation error

Hi,

in accordance of http://www.cs.drexel.edu/~gholder/Co...allGentoo.html the error is ok.

I could not boot to just installed Gentoo (with the same error as mentioned above). My BIOS just skip the hd.
    The problem was that the installation wizard did not set any partition as bootable. So, I boot from the installation CD again and set one partition bootable with fdisk.
    Now, it boots/works fine.

Hope, it helped.

Tom