Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im planning to install Gentoo over mg slackware heres my plan. I will reformat the linux partition using Partition magic then install the gentoo. but can i still boot on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gentoo Installation in a linux partition with Slackware 10.2

Im planning to install Gentoo over mg slackware

heres my plan.
    I will reformat the linux partition using Partition magic then install the gentoo.
    but can i still boot on windows after I removed the slack together with the lilo boot loader? or do I have to fixmbr? ive done the fixmbr but that was a long time ago, cant even remember how I did it.

or I can just Install the gentoo at the linux partition contaning the slackware?

tnx

What you'd be better off doing is just installing gentoo as normal, format the partitions within the gentoo installer, not within partition magic, and then install lilo, the guidance for doing all this is in the handbook for the install
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

ive tried the simulation of the installation on the livecd, what im afraid is that it might reformat my other partition containing my windows XP

I only have 80gb of Hardisk,

and also during the simulation I ive seen the partitions contained in my hd but there was no option to where the gentoo will be installed.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The gentoo install is completely manual... all u need to do is note what the XP Partition is (Most likely, but not guaranteed to be /dev/hda1) and then just make sure that you dont format this drive or mount it during the install process and you will still have the working windows partition as long as grub or lilo are setup right
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

I would advice against using the live cd graphical installer I've basically heard nothing but troubles using this method.

just use the x86 minimal install cd if you have a good internet connection which you should if you want to use Gentoo in the first place.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

my hd is /dev/sda the xp partitions are /dev/sda1 /dev/sda3

do I need to reformat or delete the linux partition? and what should i do in the options: mount , mounting options. ?
    tnx

just follow the handbook
    and when you get the the fdisk section just delete all partition except for /sda1 /sda3 and create one's for /boot swap /

so you could do
    /dev/sda2 /boot +32M
    /dev/sda4 extended partition
    /dev/sda5 swap +512M
    /dev/sda6 / rest of your space

just make sure when you are following the handbook to remember YOUR partition scheme because the handbook assumes a scheme of

/dev/hda1 /boot
    /dev/hda2 swap
    /dev/hda3 root

so just adjust according to your scheme.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL