Find the answer to your Linux question:
okay heres the isssue im having....when i boot the Gentoo universal CD everything is fine...both of my onboard network cards are detected and i am able to ping google and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Help!...networking problem after new install

okay heres the isssue im having....when i boot the Gentoo universal CD everything is fine...both of my onboard network cards are detected and i am able to ping google and i am able to use links. When i ifconfig i see eth1 and eth2, both of them work and i am able to use net-setup as well....i had no issues at all during the installation process...The problem is when i reboot after im done installing and boot into my new linux system my network hardware is not detected...im not able to execute the net-setup command. Am i missing a step in the installation here, or is it something else??? Any help would be appreciated!....

Im running AMD64 Athlon 3700+
    ASUS A8N32-SLI deluxe mobo (2 onboard LAN)
    1 GB RAM
    160 GB HDD

Did you...
    • ...compile/autoload the correct modules for your network interfaces?
    • ...correctly setup /etc/conf.d/net?
    • ...create the net.eth* symlinks (for the extra eth1 interface you have, net.eth0 exists by default IIRC) in /etc/init.d?
    net-setup is only a helper script on the LiveCD. It doesn't exist in the installation itself.

ok, don't forget to run lspci and lsmod from the liveCD, that always helps to identify your network card.

if you've already got the right drivers, ensure you have the appropriate networking software installed (usually dhcpcd). just follow the manual
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?