Find the answer to your Linux question:
Using this tutorial I was able to get the emergence bootsplash theme working. Now I emerged more bootsplash-themes and am trying to get one called DangerGirl working. I did what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bootsplash in Gentoo

Using this tutorial I was able to get the emergence bootsplash theme working. Now I emerged more bootsplash-themes and am trying to get one called DangerGirl working. I did what it told me at that site:

Code:
    cd /etc/splash/
    splash_geninitramfs DangerGirl -r 1024x768 -g /boot/DangerGirl -v
    And I've got my grub.conf file all set up:

Quote Originally Posted by grub.conf
    default 0
    timeout 30
    splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux
    root(hd0,1)
    kernel (hd0,1)/bzImage root=/dev/hda4 video=vesafb:1024x768-16@80,mtrr,ywrap splash=silent,fadein,themeangerGirl quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
    initrd (hd0,1)/DangerGirl
    And when I try to boot, it says "An 8bpp image was not specified in 1024x768.cfg for silent or verbose modes." But I checked the config file and it was pointing to files that I knew existed (checked with ls).

Any idea what's wrong? Thanks.

the colour depth of your grub setting doesn't match the colour depth of the images iirc. try using convert to up/down the colour depth of the images. either that or try changing your -16 to -32 to up your own colour depth if that's possible
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?