Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Sony Vaio PCG-K33 that has a P4-3.06GHz with 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD, wireless, integrated Ethernet network and modem, CD-RW/DVD combo, ATI Radeon video. My issue is that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    vma
    Just Joined!

Trouble Rebooting and Shutting Down

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-K33 that has a P4-3.06GHz with 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD, wireless, integrated Ethernet network and modem, CD-RW/DVD combo, ATI Radeon video.

My issue is that when I issue any command that reboots, halts, or shuts the system down, it hangs after stopping some of the services and processes with the following messages:

/etc/init.d/halt.sh: line 22: stop_addon: command not found
    /etc/init.d/halt.sh: line 23: stop_addon: command not found
    /etc/init.d/halt.sh: line 33: ebegin: command not found
    /etc/init.d/halt.sh: line 35: eend: command not found
    /etc/init.d/halt.sh: line 99: ebegin: command not found
    /etc/init.d/halt.sh: line 126: eend: command not found
    /etc/init.d/halt.sh: line 129: stop_addon: command not found
    /etc/init.d/halt.sh: line 132: stop_volumes: command not found
    /etc/init.d/halt.sh: line 186: stop_addon: command not found
    /etc/init.d/halt.sh: line 191: ebegin: command not found
    /etc/init.d/halt.sh: line 202: eend: command not found
    INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
    The last service to stop before this occurs is pcmcia, and it comes back with [OK].

This was not long after the initial install. The only deviation from the documentation was that I did not remove "X" from the USE flags when I emerged pcmcia. I rebooted from that, and it was fine.

I did a full world update (emerge --update --deep --newuse world) through Portage, installed some other applications, did a full world update again, and later ran etc-update.

Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly which files were impacted, but I know that it suggested changes for several configuration files that I had not altered, so I allowed the changes.

The only thing that seemed unusual about etc-update this time was that some of the files with changes had multiple files containing updates (conf #1, #2, etc), and etc-update presented me the choice between each. However, when it processed the updates for the one I selected, it immediately tried to force me to merge changes with the other pending configuration update.

Foolishly enough, I merged the changes and evidently screwed something up. From what research I was able to do, it seems that halt.sh is related to baselayout and I tried to re-emerge baselayout hoping that it might present the same configuration changes again so I could fix whatever was wrong, but it did not help.

Everything runs fine until the reboot. And judging from the entry from line 132, it's not doing a clean dismount of the partitions.

Any suggestions? I'm at a wits end trying to solve this, and I've put a lot of time into compiling applications on here... I really don't want to start all over if I don't have to.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Banned
    what if you try the init way?
    Code:
    init 6             //restarts
    init 0             //shutdown

vma
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB
    what if you try the init way?
    Code:
    init 6             //restarts
    init 0             //shutdown
    When trying the init way, the results are the same. And since it wasn't mentioned, it isn't a true hang, per se... It lets me change consoles by using the WIN key or the ALT+F# combo, but that's it. The other consoles show a login prompt; entry there is ignored.

Another detail that may be helpful... When I started researching this, I found that the size of the /etc/init.d/halt.sh was ~6K. All my other Gentoo workstations had a ~4K file. I attempted using the same halt.sh as on the other computers, still had same results. Tried the one from the installation CD, and got an infinite loop that scrolled too fast to read and I don't remember what it said. I have since restored the backup of the halt.sh that was ~6K.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

vma
    Just Joined!
    For what it's worth, I did a line-by-line comparison between the Sony and another one of my PCs in the /etc/init.d/halt.sh file and found this line was missing on the Sony...
    Code:
    [[ ${RC_GOT_FUNCTIONS} != "yes" ]] && source /sbin/functions.sh
    I have since added this line (no changes to existing lines), and the Sony no longer complains of missing commands. However, it still fails to reboot after dismounting the partitions.
    * Unloading ALSA ... [ok]
    * Unloading ALSA modules ... [ok]
    * Stopping ... [ok]
    * Deactivating swap ... [ok]
    * Unmounting filesystems ... [ok]
    * Removing dm-crypt mappings
    * Remounting remaining filesystems readonly ... [ok]
    INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
    What is needed from here? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

(Edit 6-14-06 @ 8:30am MDT): Clarified the changes I made to /etc/init.d/halt.sh

Just Joined!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by vma
    For what it's worth, I did a line-by-line comparison between the Sony and another one of my PCs in the /etc/init.d/halt.sh file and found this line was missing on the Sony...
    Code:
    I was having the same problem so I attempted your fix, changing
    Code:
    RC_GOT_FUNCTIONS="yes"
    into
    Code:
    and it wiped my hard drive.

vma
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by projecteternity
    I was having the same problem so I attempted your fix, changing
    Code:
    RC_GOT_FUNCTIONS="yes"
    into
    Code:
    and it wiped my hard drive.
    Ouch. Sorry about that. Can you get to any of it from the install CD?

I didn't change any lines, I only inserted that line where it was missing between the two computers I was comparing (the one with the prob vs. the one without). I'll edit my original post to indicate no changes, but insertions...It's my roommate's laptop that's doing the reboot issue, so I can't check on it right now, but when I get access to it again, I'll get a snippet of the code in context to the addition I made.

There are still the issues with the reboots, but the system at least dismounts the drives properly. If anybody has a resolution or a suggestion, it would be much appreciated.