Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a sony vaio laptop with a pentium M processor and I'm installing gentoo from the live cd everything from the gui interface installs correctly but when I get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gentoo Lilo error help

I have a sony vaio laptop with a pentium M processor and I'm installing gentoo from the live cd everything from the gui interface installs correctly but when I get to the part where it's intalling Lilo I get this error

Lilo installed and configured. Not run yet.
    GLI: May 31 2006 10:46:00 - Exception received during 'Setting up and running bootloader': LiloInstallError :FATAL: _setup_lilo: Running lilo failed!
    GLI: May 31 2006 10:46:00 - Traceback (most recent call last):
    GLI: May 31 2006 10:46:00 - File "/opt/installer/GLIClientController.py", line 165, in run
    self._install_steps[self._install_step]['function']()
    GLI: May 31 2006 10:46:00 - File "/opt/installer/templates/x86ArchitectureTemplate.py", line 658, in setup_and_run_bootloader
    self._setup_lilo()
    GLI: May 31 2006 10:46:00 - File "/opt/installer/templates/x86ArchitectureTemplate.py", line 688, in _setup_lilo
    raise GLIException("LiloInstallError", 'fatal', '_setup_lilo', "Running lilo failed!")
    GLI: May 31 2006 10:46:00 - GLIException: LiloInstallError :FATAL: _setup_lilo: Running lilo failed!

Can anybody help a newbie please

I decided to use grub and it worked. I just had to modify the grub.conf file to dual boot with windows

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Can I first ask two questions?

1. Why are you installing Gentoo from a Live CD?
    The Live CD is quite unreliable to do things, esp. the GUIs.

2. Do you have a good internet connection?
    The latter is asked because Gentoo depends a lot on internet to install packages / update them. If you do not have it then I suggest you use any other distro such as SUSE or Debian.

Anyways if you are really willing to take all the risks (not recommended) then I suggest you edit the file /etc/lilo.conf manually and when finished execute this command as root
    Code:
    lilo -v
    Good Luck
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page