Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
please post the full error with any information that comes around it I don't recognize that from such a short snippet....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

please post the full error with any information that comes around it I don't recognize that from such a short snippet.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Newbie
    Do a search for a file called 'rgb.txt' using locate, for example, and create a symbolic link to it in the directory '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt' (I think it's that directory, I honestly can't remember where Gentoo installs X). The file should start with a header, something along the lines of:
    Code:
    ! $Xorg: rgb.txt,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54 cpqbld Exp $
    but the date, time, or version might vary, and then a bunch of rows each having three numbers (RGB values) and a name for the color.
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

Just Joined!

Angry Frustrated!

okay so i did a search for the rgb.txt and i found it and then did what you said. Now when i startx i do not get a rgb error anymore. i get an error regarding fonts. I will post the exact (EE) error when i get home tonight..but sort of good news is....when i startx i see a small little white "X" in the middle of my screen for a split second....looks almost like my mouse pointer....then startx shuts down... grrrrrrrr!

Just Joined!

Cool

Okay these are the errors that appeared in Xorg.0.log.

Code:
    (ww) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) no such file or device.
    (ww) VESA (0): Config file vrefresh range 5-75Hz. not withina DDC vrefresh ranges.
    (ww) VESA (0): (1280x1024, My Monitor) mode clock 157 .5MHz exceeds DDC maximum 140MHz
    in the log file those two warnings are appear to be the only problems. Also when i run startx i now get the error something like:

Code:
    /boot/.xinitrc -- startkde not found
    I followed the Gentoo KDE Configuration HOWTO exactly and its not working. Any ideas guys?

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by |Dex|
    Okay these are the errors that appeared in Xorg.0.log.

Code:
    (ww) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) no such file or device.
    (ww) VESA (0): Config file vrefresh range 5-75Hz. not withina DDC vrefresh ranges.
    (ww) VESA (0): (1280x1024, My Monitor) mode clock 157 .5MHz exceeds DDC maximum 140MHz
    in the log file those two warnings are appear to be the only problems. Also when i run startx i now get the error something like:

Code:
    I followed the Gentoo KDE Configuration HOWTO exactly and its not working. Any ideas guys?
    First of all abt the warnings
    Your refresh rates are out of range.

Abt the error
    Try executing this script I wrote to come over this problem

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    rm -f ~/.xinitrc
    case "$1" in
        kde)
        echo "exec start"$1 > ~/.xinitrc
        ;;
        fluxbox)
        echo "exec startfluxbox" > /~.xinitrc
        ;;
    esac
    startx
    To use this script type
    Code:
    start kde
    to use kde and so on... You can add more lines for more window managers as you add them.
    Tons of Good Luck (as my scripts rarely work )
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

are you running startx as root?

I don't know why it is looking at your .xinitrc in /boot it should be in

~/.xinitrc (which is just your /home/username/.xinitrc file)

also you could try using a lower resolution or changing your sync values to fix EE.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2