Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
im really having troubles here trying to get KDE running. Ive installed qt, kde, and xorg and a bunch of other stuff off the Gentoo Packages CD. When i type ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Startx NO Devices Detected, No screens found!

im really having troubles here trying to get KDE running. Ive installed qt, kde, and xorg and a bunch of other stuff off the Gentoo Packages CD. When i type "startx" i get (EE) No devices detected and then underneath it says No screens found....i have looked around a bunch of forums for similar problems and tryed their solutions but i still havent got it working yet....i still get the error!.....should i post my Xorg.0.log file?....im dual booting winXP so its gonna be kind of difficult to post it....what should i do next?....

read this guide
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Newbie
    Yes, posting your log file, as well as your xorg.conf file would be very helpful. To help you get these files from Windows, you could use Explore2fs, which can be found at http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm and it can read ext2/3 filesystems from Windows.

Without seeing your xorg.conf file, I can't really be sure what the problem is, but it sounds like the "Screen" section and the "Device" section are missing.
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

Just Joined!

Question Still Not working!

I followed the link to the Gentoo Website on X-server configuration. I followed it to a tee. I generated a few xorg.conf files using xorgcfg and none of them worked i kept getting the same screen not found error. I also downloaded the ATI drivers for my card and tried to install it. I then received:

[error] kernel module: failed to install compiled kernel module.

after i was done with setup. So im kinda stuck here....

Code:
    #Graphics Section

Section "Device"
          Identifier  "Standard VGA"
          VendorName  "unknown"
          BoardName   "unknown"
          Driver           "vga"
    EndSection

#Screens Section

Section "Screen"
          Identifier   "Screen 1"
          Device      "ATIx1300pro"
          Monitor     "H950"
          DefaultDepth   24
                SubSection "Display"
                     Depth   8
                     Modes   "640x480"
                     ViewPort   0 0
                EndSubSection
                SubSection "Display"
                     Depth   16
                     Modes   "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
                     ViewPort   0 0
                EndSubSection
                SubSection "Display"
                     Depth   24
                     Modes   "1280x1024 "1024x768" "800x600"
                     ViewPort   0 0
                EndSubSection
    EndSection

Just Joined!

Cool A little further along but still no dice!

Okay so i was sitting around last night at my computer reading a few forums about why my X isnt working....i read something about vesa..and vesafb..so i tried it, and i did get a little further....my no screens error is fixed....but now when i startx my screen flashes red and black a few times then xserver shuts down......ever had this problem before.....???

Lightbulb

try the command

xorgconfig

to generate a xorg.conf
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!

Arrow

i tried xorgconfig to generate an xorg.conf file first. I still received the no screen error. After that didnt work i tried some variations and still same error....then i tried generating one with vesa drivers and that fixed the no screen issue but now it flashes red then shuts down xserver.....do you think its my ATIx1300 pro card that is causing the problems?

no I don't. It is almost definitely some form of a configuration problem in your xorg.conf file. You need to look over your Xorg.0.log file and see any errors. But my guess would be you eithe do not have or have the incorrect horiz and vert refresh rates for your monitor.

to pair down the log to look for definite errors you can use this command:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE

the refresh rates should be entered in the "Monitor" section of you xorg.conf file. You usually can find the correct values for your monitor by googling it or simply looking at the manufacturers website or the manual which came with it.

Monitor section should look something like this
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"

Identifier  "t30lcd"
        HorizSync   31.5, 35.15, 35.5
        VertRefresh 50-90

EndSection
    these are the figures from my laptop so don't use exactly you need to find your own values. But values SHOULD (warning I do not suggest this) work for a basic laptop lcd.

Just Joined!

Lightbulb

Okay thanks!....i will try that as soon as i get home from work.....i just went on the net and checked the horiz and vert refresh rates for my monitor they are:
    Horizontal - 80 kHz
    Vertical - 75 Hz

I will adjust the xorg.conf file accordingly and i will keep you posted on the results!

Just Joined!

Unhappy

Okay so i messed around with xorg for a bit and finally got the screens error to go away. And i entered in my correct horizontal and vert rates but now im getting a totally new error... could not open RGB_DB.....i thought forsure itwas going to work this time....any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast