Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install Gentoo from the Live CD but when it begins partitioning it damages the disk geometry and GRUB and leave my system unbootable, I have installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Problems installing Gentoo

I am trying to install Gentoo from the Live CD but when it begins partitioning it damages the disk geometry and GRUB and leave my system unbootable, I have installed other distros with no problems like Suse, Fedora and Ubuntu.
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Can I boot just the installer?
    I have a slow and unstable internet connection so is very hard for me to get a new copy of a non-livecd, I have the same problem with PCLinuxOS but I really want Gentoo

Thank you!

The live-cd gui installer is still notoriously unreliable.

I would also suggest against Gentoo if you have a slow/unreliable internet connection. Gentoo is heavily dependent on getting packages from the internet and installing them. That said you can use gentoo without the net but it will be hard to upgrade. But if your internet can stay up for an hour or more at a time you can get all the packages you need then install them.

So if you really want to use gentoo I would install with the command line based installer which can be found here you can use either the minimal install which will require getting some packages from the internet or the universal install which can be installed w/out dowloading packages from the internet.

Make sure you read the handbook
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL