Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im trying to install gentoo right now but I am lost with these flags. There are so many!!! I know that I dont plan to use KDE so i have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Use flag Help...

Im trying to install gentoo right now but I am lost with these flags. There are so many!!! I know that I dont plan to use KDE so i have so far..

USE="-kde -qt gtk gnome cdr dvdr dvd"

thats it so far but I know I need alot more then that..I have been flipping through the handbook and its not really helping me. Can some one offer me a hand to help me know what flags I need?

Just Joined!
    You don't really have to get all the flags right the first time around. If you pass emerge the -av flags every time you run it, you can see what USE flags all of the packages are using, and adjust things as you need to.

USE flags are pretty dependent on what you want to do but here are some that I use and most likely will be beneficial.

mmx sse sse2 gimp gimpprint cups pdf win32codecs nsplugin firefox -mozilla foomaticdb alsa xvid flac usb ppds bitmap-fonts truetype-fonts type1-fonts ffmpeg dri xscreensaver

I have some others to but they are not as common and of course this list is no where comprehensive, but a good start
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    do i need to add the "-kde" "-qt" stuff or will leaving it out do the same thing?

you need to add it if you want programs to build without kde/qt components. Some programs may require these and thus the flag won't matter but some progams could be build with either gtk or qt support for example. So the -qt will ensure that it's built with gtk and not qt.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL