Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm a total n00b to Linux, i've just finished setting up gentoo i'm now on the 3rd kernel and have got xorg working...kind of Problem 1: when I type ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Display Problem

Hi,

I'm a total n00b to Linux, i've just finished setting up gentoo i'm now on the 3rd kernel and have got xorg working...kind of

Problem 1:
    when I type xinit the screen says signal out of range and gives H and V frequencies. After I set xorg.conf.new to use these frequencies I discovered switching of and on my LCD monitor let me see the gnome screen.

I would like to fix the having to turn on and off the monitor but more irritatingly I am stuck in 640x480 mode.

Problem 2:
    It's kind of strange the screen is running at 1280x1024 but gnome is running within a letterbox in the middle that is 640x480. I tried to change the settings from within gnome but it only had 640x480 and 60Hz.
    I have been experimenting with different kernel options to see if the problem is due to my console being 640x480 but I haven't had much luck i used
    video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1280x1024-32@75
    but the console still starts in 640x480 mode
    Dunno if this helps at all but when i run X -config /root/xorg.conf.new and turn on and off my monitor the xorg box fills the screen but the mouse dosen't work?!

any help would be greatly appreciated

Just Joined!
    just solved my letterbox problem!!

Hadn't realisied that xorg looks in the x11 dir for xorg.conf I had thought the /root/xorg.conf.new was the one it read.

Anyway all up and running but I still have to turn off and on my monitor every time I run the xserver.

Anyone know why?

thanks

When you create xorg.conf.new, do you change /etc/X11/xorg.conf accordingly?
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

check the sync ranges for your monitor (if you google the name you should be able to get something, hopefully).
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    i had a hunt and found the settings for my monitor but it still happens. It seems to be when i start up x the display mode is set out of range.

All the changes I made were directly to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file

Does gnome or x11 have a automatic screensaver/power option?
    when i leave the system idle for a while it will begin complaining about signal out of range. I can fix it by resetting my monitor but it's annoying..

Just for anyone with the same prob I believe it was an issue with the default "nv" drivers I installed the nvidia legacy drivers and hey presto no stupid out of range error. Sadly i still get it if i leave the system idle think that must be a gnome problem

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyuzo
    ...i still get it if i leave the system idle think that must be a gnome problem
    Can you try this out with any other window manager (say fluxbox or KDE) and post us the results/outputs? Also post Xorg.0.log or the error messages it gives while X is up/starting (you can see them either in the log or when you stop X --example when pressing ctrl+alt+backspace).
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page