Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was following the guide on how to bootstrap your system with a stage 3 ( http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#stage12 ) and I was duing the emerge -e system. I did it before ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

emerge -e system

I was following the guide on how to bootstrap your system with a stage 3 (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#stage12) and I was duing the emerge -e system. I did it before I went to bed last night and I woke up to this error "Unable to build (are you using "USE=build")? I tought about adding build to my USE but this (http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml) tells me to not add USE=build myself. I also noticed that one of the files wanted USE=bootstrap. It didnt get to it but adding it is the same issue. What should I do. So I add them just for this and then remove them?

what if I set temp USE by going: USE="build bootstrap" emerge -e system?

also, the old gentoo install guide (I think 2004) uses "emerge system" instead of "emerge -e system" what is the difference?

What package did it fail on?

I did a stage 3 install, upgraded GCC, changed my make.conf to what I wanted, and then did an "emerge -e system && emerge -e system". That essentially give me what you want to accomplish. Plus, I was in KDE the whole time.

To get past the error though, you can do an "emerge --resume --skipfirst".

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    ill have to look later when I get home..but does that mean that I should NOT add build and bootstrap?

It means that you don't really have to do it at that stage. I would just get a stage 3 installed, change what you want, and recompile then. That is essentially the same thing. Issueing an "emerge -e system && emerge -e system && emerge -e world" would get you basically what a stage 1 would get you, and you can do it from within a gui environment so that you can surf around the forums to find a solution if you have a problem.

The Gentoo devs moved away from stage 1 and 2 because of circular dependencies and some leftover files that you don't need, and possibly some broken libs. It is recommended that you just do a stage 3 and recompile everything to get the same effect, and you won't have anything broken afterwards.

That is the way I do all of my systems anyway, since I like GCC 4.1 and I have to update everything after the install. My laptop is finishing it's compile right now.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    I want to make it optimized for my system by changing the CHOST, CFLAGS, MAKEOPTS.

1. According to the Gentoo website, I should do a stage3. Before I get to configure the kernel, I should run bootstrap.sh and then emerge –e system. (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#stage12)

2. Once I have a complete setup with a DE, do “emerge –e system && emerge –e system && emerge –uD world”

3. Do a Stage 1 Install (I know this isn’t supported anymore but I could follow the Gentoo Wiki)

I have no ideas which to do. I think im getting an idea but still off.

Just Joined!
    good news..i fixed it by going USE="-build -bootstrap" emerge -e system. But should I worry about packages before that error occured or should they be alright since they didnt have an error?

They should be fine. I wouldn't even worry with a stage 1 or 2 though, because now they have the stage 3 tarballs with the appropriate make.conf.

You can also change all of those except CHOST after you get your system setup. Just remember to recompile the toolchain and then recompile the toolchain again with the updated and optimized toolchain (emerge -e system && emerge -e system). Alternately you can get a script off of the gentoo forums that will just rebuild your toolchain, so that you don't have to rebuild the whole -e system twice, but I like to do it just for thoroughness. I also rebuild my world occasionally just to make sure it is all good. Useless, but I like it. That is what gentoo is all about, choices.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    its weird.....i got that error and I fixed it by running emerge -e system...then...so many packages later, I will get it again but i fix it by just typing it again...