Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
which cd should i get if i just want to install gentoo off the the 'package' or 'universal livecd'? can't really find any clean explanation of this on gentoo's site. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

which iso?

which cd should i get if i just want to install gentoo off the the 'package' or 'universal livecd'?

can't really find any clean explanation of this on gentoo's site.
    and will the universal liveCD be able to run like ubuntu liveCD and Slax etc?

im just a bit confused as I thought the idea of a liveCD was to run it off the cd directly, but in the guide it says that it is used for a 'networkless' gentoo installation.

The 2006.0 is a livecd that can be used for a networkless installation as all the files that you will need are on the cd.
    But you can still do a net-install from the 2006.0 cd which is a little better as your system will be more up2date.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

umm.. well which is the easiest method?
    and what is the differencew between 'universal' 'package' and 'minimal' ?

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Well I think the name specifies it all. The universal CD comes with many "essential" packages. The minimum CD comes with just the stage 3 tar ball and a some utilities like tar and others. I never used any of them. I just use the stage 3 tar while booting via some other LiveCD such as Knoppix. That is the best way in my opinion in case the computer I am installing gentoo on has a good network available. In case it does not I don't install Gentoo
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

hmm.. I guess i'll go with the universal then I just want a fresh install of Gentoo with gnome.

Quote Originally Posted by nimwa2
    hmm.. I guess i'll go with the universal then I just want a fresh install of Gentoo with gnome.
    I don't think you will get gnome with it. The Universal CD is bootable and can install base gentoo without using internet connectivity. The install minimum requires internet. None of them comes with a Graphical Desktop manager.

Edit: Read this
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

well what to do if I want a graphical desktop? I have used other distros like Mandriva and Fedora Core they came with KDE or Gnome 'out-of-the-box'

Gentoo is a bit confusing even under the FAQ section there is isn't alot of info but iv'e seen under the screenshot section people having Gnome.

anyways I remember there being a handbook in .pdf format which you could print i think I will do that then figure out precisely which way i should install it.

well when i read the document you linked to i read this

"Each architecture offers three LiveCDs. The first one being a universal bootable LiveCD which can be used to install with or without an Internet connection. The second LiveCD is a non-bootable subarch-optimized Gentoo Reference Platform (GRP) LiveCD which contains precompiled binaries of popular programs such as X.org-x11, KDE, and GNOME. The third LiveCD is a bootable minimal LiveCD that is smaller in size and includes only the basics needed to simply boot a machine."

well doesn't it say that the second LiveCD has KDE or Gnome? or am i totally wrong on this one? as far as I know a LiveCD as an OS that boots off the CD and when you eject it the system returns to it's previous OS.. just like Slax linux LiveCD am i right?

im still quit confused about this...

I might like to clarify myself over here. I thought when you mentioned the universal iso you meant the First CD. Sorry for the confusion. You are right. The second CD called packages.<version>.iso indeed comes with xorg-x11 and KDE etc. but I will suggest that if you have a good internet connection then instead if wasting your time on getting the second iso which contains some older versions you emerge them. But if you are fine with older versions which by the way for KDE and GNOME are not too old, you can go on with the Second CD also. Again I am very sorry for the confusion.

Secondly about the gentoo live CD: Like all live CDs gentoo Live CD too boots up the system on gentoo and when you reboot you get back the previous OS. People use LiveCDs in two ways:

1. Use the LiveCD's inbuilt installer (which btw is horrible and can prove to be a disaster. Using it is not something I would recommend.)

2. Use the base gentoo OS provided by the LiveCD to perform a tar ball installation. Stage 3 tar ball installation is recommended.

Edit: Looking forward to see gentoo on your Distribution tag.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

I have a fairly fast connection, I just finished downloading the LiveCD 713 mb think I am going to do the stage3 installation as you are saying. The installer just looks stupid as it does it for you i assume. I will try it on my new computer sometime next week when I am done building it.

Just Joined!
    Option two (the tarball install) is described here:
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

You can do it using the LiveCD. The process is basically identical except that you skip chapters 1 and 2, and do the whole thing while booted into the Gentoo LiveCD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast