Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Is it possible that you ran grub-install whilst /boot was not mounted? /boot must be mounted when you run grub install. Also ensure that a symlink called boot is present ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is it possible that you ran grub-install whilst /boot was not mounted?

/boot must be mounted when you run grub install.

Also ensure that a symlink called boot is present in /boot and that it leads to /boot.

Quote Originally Posted by ajn131
    Hello, I just finished installing gentoo, and after installing Grub I cannot boot the system. I could swear I followed the instructions to the letter, but this looked like the place to post for grub related issues. The specific error I receive is Error 15: file not found

Code:
    booting ‘Gentoo Linux 2.6.16’
    root (hd1,0)
    Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.16-gentoor12 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda3 udev vga=0x307

Error 15: file not found
    My grub.conf reads:

Code:
    default=0
    timeout 30
    splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.16
    Root (hd1,0)
    Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.16-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda3 udev vga=0x307
    initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.16-gentoo-r12
    I have a SATA HD on which I installed Gentoo, and there is a regular IDE HD installed as well. The SATA hd is partition as

/dev/sda1 /boot
    /dev/sda2 – swap
    /dev/sda3 /

I reloaded the install cd and chrooted, both the initrd and kernel appear to be in /boot, and grub-install reported installing grub without any errors. The system.map sees /sda as (hd1). Any ideas or feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    If the line "Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83" is really in there, then take that out and try it again.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!

Error 15:

Thanks for responses, /boot was mounted when grub-install was run, and the Filesystem line is not actually in the grub.conf I just copied over by mistake form the error output. I just ran the graphical installer, it failed, but not until it started emerging the additional packages. Using the grub.conf the graphical installer generated, I get the exact same error (Error 15: file not found) when I try to boot the system. The bootloader actually boots to a blank screen with just a cursor and respond after pressing enter which is when the error output occurs. Is it possible this is a bios problem? I had Redhat installed on this same computer/configuration previously in an almost identical configuration and grub was working.

Just Joined!
    I had a similar problem. It does not actually state which file is not found, correct?

This normally occurs when grub cannot even find the grub.conf file. Do you get a menu at all?

The reason it can't find the grub.conf file is because there was a problem with the installer finding /boot.

You said it was mounted though. However, I would go back and boot from the live CD, mount everything (as it tells you in the Gentoo handbook) chroot into your Gentoo environment THEN run grub-install (after having written the grub.conf file). After this is completed unmount all your filesystems and do a reboot.

Just Joined!

Error 15:

I'll give that a try, I'm gonna re-install again and see what happens. Thanks for tips, I'm very new to Gentoo, and Linux in general as I'm sure is apparent.

Just Joined!
    It's all in the learning curve.

Anyone got any ideas on my problem..?

Just Joined!

Error 15:

Well, I went through the install again, and I believe /boot was mounted this time prior to running grub-install. I made my partition table verbatim to the one in the handbook, activating boot * on /dev/sda1 (/boot). A grub menu does appear if I press enter twice after receiving the error, but the menu's garbled and in black and white.

At the grub menu pressing 'c' will give you a grub prompt. It accepts commands like what are used in grub.conf and also a help command. It would be a fast way to look for/at other partitons. root (hd*,*) to select a partition then try kernel /. Then you can use tab for tab completion and it should list the contents of that partiton to check the file names against what is in grub.conf.

A garbled grub menu usualy means there is something bad in the splashimage line.

HTH

Just Joined!
    If you still cannot get it to work would you please mount /boot, cd to that directory and post the output of ls -l (that's a lower case L) here? Could you also do the same for /boot/grub and fdisk.

Hopefully we can see what's going on a bit better.

Just Joined!
    Hi again guys,

Just wanted to tell you that I sorted my grub problem.

For some odd reason device.map lied to me. Grub referred to hdd as hd1. I don't quite understand why, but I am not too concerned at this point in time.

For anyone else who stumbles upon this thread as they are suffering a similar problem:

To determine which drive grub thought Windows XP was on I altered my grub.conf. I added a line for EVERY hard drive in my computer, and instead of rootnoverify I used root(hdx,y). This gave me a message telling me the hard drive type. I went through each hard drive until I cam to one that gave me a message with 0x7 as the partition type. If you know your partition system IDs, you will know that 0x7 is the hex code for HPFS/NTFS. Once you have determined which hard drive grub thinks Windows XP is on, just use the regular:

Code:
    title=Windows XP
    	root (hd1,0)
    	makeactive
    	chainloader (hd1,0)+1
    	map (hd0) (hd1)
    	map (hd1) (hd0)
    And everything should be just as hunky as it is dory. It is possible that you will need to change root to rootnoverify for some Linux distributions (I read that somewhere and thought I should include it).

And yes, the map part IS necessary, SO ARE THE SPACES!! If you don't put the spaces exactly the same as I have, grub will complain.

Thanks again to everyone who posted in response to my problem. Much appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast