Find the answer to your Linux question:
the minimal install CD (and all other liveCDs) correctly recognise my SATA drive as /dev/sda, but when i'm in the gentoo environment it's recognised as /dev/hde. this has forced me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

drive labelling errors

the minimal install CD (and all other liveCDs) correctly recognise my SATA drive as /dev/sda, but when i'm in the gentoo environment it's recognised as /dev/hde. this has forced me to do a strange GRUB setup (replacing root=/dev/sda1 with root=/dev/hde1) and caused me no end of problems booting it up the first time. anyway, i need to know whether it's a problem in the kernel config (something i haven't enabled?) and how to fix it.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    I would assume that SATA isn't configured properly into the gentoo kernel. The live CDs always boot a kernel that has pretty much everythign selected in order to match many different hardware configurations. I would put both options in menu.lst so if one doesn't work after doing that you can try the other.

i was thinking along those lines too, i just don't know what i need to enable.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close