Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I found myself trying to install Gentoo on a Sony Vaio (pcg-z505hs) which is rather old. This particular notebook has no CDROM built-in, but I do have a PCMCIA ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

PCMCIA DVD Drive problems

So I found myself trying to install Gentoo on a Sony Vaio (pcg-z505hs) which is rather old. This particular notebook has no CDROM built-in, but I do have a PCMCIA DVD drive (pcga-dvd51). When attempting to run the latest install CD it says the root block device is unspecified or not detected (!! Could not find CD to boot, something else needed!) at which point I am left with a boot prompt in which I could specify a device to boot or enter a limited shell. I have tried the dopcmcia option at boot with no success.

Some background info: I know that the DVD power cord must be unplugged to boot (doesn't make much sense to me either, that just how it's got to be). My BIOS is set to boot the CD and it does, that is until it looks for a device to load the install.... this sounds confusing I know but what it seems to be doing is processing the img files then looking for the boot media which it can't find for some reason. I'm not sure of the location of the PCMCIA device to point to.

I also tried to install Fedora core 5 through a network install... the install went fine but it hung when loading the kernel, so I removed it. I now have winblows 2k on the bootable partition with dyne:bolic in the root directory. This allows me to run dyne from the hd with the livecd, but I would like to install Gentoo on the Linux partition. I have in total 1 ntfs partition (B), 1 ext2 partition, and 1 swap partition.

I guess my question would be: Is there a way to mount this PCMCIA DVD drive so that I can continue my install?

Thanks in advance

Smile well....

Well, I gave up on the Gentoo install, but got the network install of Fedora to run...From here it was a simple grub update and now I have dyne:II running like a champ, which allowed me to accomplish what I was shooting for. Thanks anywho.