Find the answer to your Linux question:
Code: FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r12/video/nvidia.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg) dmesg output Code: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel. nvidia: Unknown symbol remap_page_range nvidia: Unknown ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FATAL: Error inserting nvidia /nvidia.ko

Code:
    FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r12/video/nvidia.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    dmesg output

Code:
    nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    nvidia: Unknown symbol remap_page_range
    nvidia: Unknown symbol pci_find_class
    nvidia: Unknown symbol pci_find_class
    I'm using kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.16-gentoo-r12. I followed the instructions from the gentoo Linux Nvidia guide, and have run emerge nvidia-glx and emerge nvidia-kernel both finish without error. However, when trying modprobe nvidia it returns (/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r12/video/nvidia.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg), and the module fails to load. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

What nvidia card do you have? Which driver version are you using?

My bet is that you are trying to use the stable drivers. Unmask the new ones and use those. That should solve your problem unless you have an older card, and then you will need to unmask the legacy drivers and use those.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!

FATAL: Error inserting nvidia

Thanks for the quick response, I'm very new to Gentoo. The card is an VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV25 [GeForce4 Ti 4600] (rev a2). Please forgive me for asking, but what commands do I issue to unmask the newer drivers, and how can I tell what version of the driver I'm currently using?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

FATAL: Error inserting nvidia

I got the module to load after following http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Unmask_Nvidia_Drivers thanks for the tips.