Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, so I've been able to get Gentoo up and running, setup Nvidia drivers, and emerged and sucessfully tested X following the gentoo X install guide. So I moved on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

!!! ERROR: x11-wm/metacity-2.14.5 failed

Ok, so I've been able to get Gentoo up and running, setup Nvidia drivers, and emerged and sucessfully tested X following the gentoo X install guide. So I moved on to the gnome setup... again, following the Gentoo Gnome guide, and about half-way through the build I received:

Code:
    emerge gnome xscreensaver
    Code:
    !!! ERROR: x11-wm/metacity-2.14.5 failed.
    Call stack:
      ebuild.sh, line 1539:   Called dyn_compile
      ebuild.sh, line 939:   Called src_compile
      ebuild.sh, line 1248:   Called gnome2_src_compile
      gnome2.eclass, line 64:   Called die
    I'm not really sure what the error means except that x11-wm/metacity-2.14.5 failed. Should I just try emerge gnome xscreensaver again, or am I missing something? Any help or guidance greatly appreciated.

We will need a little more than that, like about 10 - 20 lines above that also.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    I've attached most of the output in a .txt file if this is not enough.

Code:
    if i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -DORBIT2=1 -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/gconf/2 -I/usr/include/orbit-2.0 -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0   -DMETACITY_LIBEXECDIR=\"/usr/libexec\" -DMETACITY_LIBDIR=\"/usr/lib\" -DHOST_ALIAS=\"i386-pc-linux-gnu\" -DMETACITY_LOCALEDIR=\"/usr/share/locale\" -DMETACITY_PKGDATADIR=\"/usr/share/metacity\" -DMETACITY_DATADIR=\"/usr/share\" -DG_LOG_DOMAIN=\"metacity\" -DSN_API_NOT_YET_FROZEN=1    -march=athlon-xp -pipe -O3 -Wall -Wchar-subscripts -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wsign-compare -MT testasyncgetprop.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/testasyncgetprop.Tpo" -c -o testasyncgetprop.o testasyncgetprop.c; \
    then mv -f ".deps/testasyncgetprop.Tpo" ".deps/testasyncgetprop.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/testasyncgetprop.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
    /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc  -march=athlon-xp -pipe -O3 -Wall -Wchar-subscripts -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wsign-compare   -o testasyncgetprop  async-getprop.o testasyncgetprop.o -pthread -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgconf-2 -lORBit-2 -lm -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lgthread-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lstartup-notification-1 -lXrender -lX11 -lXcursor   -lXext -lXrandr -lXext   -lSM -lICE -lX11
    i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -march=athlon-xp -pipe -O3 -Wall -Wchar-subscripts -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wsign-compare -o testasyncgetprop async-getprop.o testasyncgetprop.o -pthread  /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so /usr/lib/libcairo.so /usr/lib/libpng12.so /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so /usr/lib/libexpat.so /usr/lib/libfreetype.so -lz /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so /usr/lib/libgconf-2.so /usr/lib/libORBit-2.so /usr/lib/libpopt.so /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so -lm /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so -lpthread /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so /usr/lib/libstartup-notification-1.so /usr/lib/libXcursor.so /usr/lib/libXfixes.so /usr/lib/libXrandr.so /usr/lib/libXrender.so /usr/lib/libXext.so /usr/lib/libSM.so /usr/lib/libICE.so /usr/lib/libX11.so /usr/lib/libXau.so /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so -ldl
    LC_ALL=C ../intltool-merge -d -u -c ../po/.intltool-merge-cache ../po metacity.desktop.in metacity.desktop
    Generating and caching the translation database
    make[4]: *** [metacity.desktop] Segmentation fault
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/metacity-2.14.5/work/metacity-2.14.5/src'
    make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/metacity-2.14.5/work/metacity-2.14.5/src'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/metacity-2.14.5/work/metacity-2.14.5/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/metacity-2.14.5/work/metacity-2.14.5'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    emerge_gnome_output.txt

Thanks again for your help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    My first suggestion is to back your CFLAGS down to O2 from O3. That may or may not work, but from what I have experienced and heard on the forums, that O3 may actually make your binaries slower.

Give that a try first, then if that doesn't work, we will try something else.

Also, what version of GCC are you using? And I noticed you are using the i386 build, why not the i686?

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    Code:
    gcc -v
    Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/specs
    Configured with: /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.4-r1/work/gcc-3.4.4/configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/i386-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.4.4 --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/include --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4 --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/man --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/info --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/include/g++-v3 --host=i386-pc-linux-gnu --build=i386-pc-linux-gnu --disable-altivec --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --with-system-zlib --disable-checking --disable-werror --disable-libunwind-exceptions --disable-multilib --disable-libgcj --enable-languages=c,c++,f77 --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu
    Thread model: posix
    gcc version 3.4.4 (Gentoo 3.4.4-r1, ssp-3.4.4-1.0, pie-8.7.8)
    I tried emerge gnome xscreensaver again with the -O2 instead of -O3 and it fails at the same place. I'm not sure why gcc is i386 instead of i686. Actually, looking at the stage3 tarball that I started with, I started with stage3-x86-2006.0.tar.bz2 could this be the problem, and if so do I have to start all over again?

No, that isn't the problem, I was just curious. You should have started with the 686 instead of the x86 tarball, but all will be alright.

I would try running a
    Code:
    revdep-rebuild -p
    first, to see what libs are broken if any. I searched around on the gentoo forums, but didn't come up with much. I didn't search long though.

Sorry I couldn't help you out with this one.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

can you post:

emerge --info

and

emerge -va metacity

and you can also try

MAKEOPTS="-j1" emerge metacity
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    I went back and started from scratch using stage3-i686-2006.0.tar.bz2 instead x86 and emerge gnome xscreensaver built flawlessly. Thanks again for all the help and tips I'm up and running with direct rendering and Gnome working very well.