Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to Gentoo and am trying to install it on AMD Athlon XP on a 8 GB Partition. I tried to install using the graphical install, set the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gentoo 2006 installation problem

I am new to Gentoo and am trying to install it on AMD Athlon XP on a 8 GB Partition. I tried to install using the graphical install, set the configuration as the gui said. The installation proceeds for sometime and then the install windows disappears and then am back to another installer window (starting all over again).
    I have no clue on what is happening here? Did someone face this before? Any suggestion is appreciated.

i've heard the graphical installer is broken. you'd be best off doing a manual install. use a custom kernel too and get the full gentoo experience
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    Now, I tried with basic settings (no extra packages), then the installation proceeds normally, but now after the install and reboot i get nothing on the screen. I open a xterm, and try to emerge gnome, but fails due to download error. I am sure that the network is connected and working and had set that option. Do i need to enable network?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    enter
    Code:
    ifconfig
    at the terminal as root to see the status of your network connection. there's a good chance that dhcpcd hasn't been installed (if you connect via dhcp)
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?