Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok im a retard at linux ill admit that now, i just finished installing gentoo for the most part and i just finished emerging kde etc but when i restart ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy i need help configuring KDE on gentoo etc

ok im a retard at linux ill admit that now,
    i just finished installing gentoo for the most part and i just finished emerging kde etc but when i restart my computer kde isnt working, my friend who was "holding my hand" through the installation process is now in brussels and is unable to help me other then to tell me that i need to do a few commands begining with "X -configure" as the root i did this and it gives me and error stating

Fatal server error:
    Caught signal 11. Server aborting

Aborted

and then it brings me back to the prompt, can someone help

try startx, if you get an error run xorgconfig and follow the instructions
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

You'll also need to create a ~/.xinitrc if you are using startx on your user to include "startkde" as the only line for now, you can add more as you get more advanced and want other things to run when you start X, but for now just include that.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

sigh

ive tried both ideas and neither has worked when i do xorgconfig it just gives me the same error message when i "X -configure" and when i startx startkde i get the same error, im sorry i may be doing something wrong but i dont know what it is also when i command X -config kde-2.6.16 i get error saying no screens found, i have no idea what screens are

Do you happen to have an ATI or NVIDIA graphics card?
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

yes

yes i have an ATI video card and a spare NVIDIA card, the one im using is an ATI Radeon 9600 pro 128mb graphics card