Find the answer to your Linux question:
Maybe this is too basic but If I go to gentoo.org in the "get gentoo" link I just see some not very common architechtures and no the most usual x86 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Getting Gentoo?

Maybe this is too basic but If I go to gentoo.org in the "get gentoo" link I just see some not very common architechtures and no the most usual x86 and just find a minimal live-cd for x86 and a live-cd for i686

the common process is just to download the minimal live-cd and then emerge everything else to have a fully optimized system?

A month ago I downloaded the live-cd but the installer damaged totally my disk geometry and this is a process i don't want to repeat
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

I highly recommend avoiding the Gentoo graphical installer: it is known to be quite bug-ridden. Besides, you learn more by doing it on your own.

The process is explained in the Gentoo Handbook:
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

The Handbook also explains the two different CDs (yes, you do it all through a LiveCD: you can actually use any LiveCD, or even another distro: I usually use Knoppix because I need ndiswrapper).

Anyway, use that Handbook and follow it to the letter (I do recommend using cfdisk instead of fdisk though). I've installed Gentoo three times, and I've never had a problem.

I think I'm ready for gentoo, reading the sticky was helpful

Thanks
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    I highly recommend avoiding the Gentoo graphical installer: it is known to be quite bug-ridden. Besides, you learn more by doing it on your own.
    I agree on both points.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    i always use the minimal on any install, thats the best part about gentoo and all other distros that use ftp, your almost up to date on a fresh install. and yes the GUI is buggy as hell, just follow the handbook and you wont go wrong, note stage 1 and 2 are no longer supported but i think they still have doc's somewhere

Just Joined!
    Yea, don't use grafical installer, i've lerned far far more installing gentoo on my own for the first time, than i have for 6 months using Suse.
    Gentoo rocks!

I read the handbook about the installation and I am familiar with most commands and things there so I think I won't get any problems (maybe my SLOW internet connection will drive me crazy)
    Linux User #425940

Just Joined!
    Slow internet may be a pain in the ass
    Printout the gentoo instalation giude befor you start and your cool
    have fun