Find the answer to your Linux question:
Howdy folks. I've a question about enabling non-English characters in my console. I have a music directory called "Mägo de Oz". However, in X, whenever I run an ls on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Enabling Spanish in Console

Howdy folks. I've a question about enabling non-English characters in my console.

I have a music directory called "Mägo de Oz". However, in X, whenever I run an ls on that directory, I get the output as "M?go de Oz". Similarly, any songs are named as such when they have an accent.

However, the odd thing is that I can type "cd Mägo\ de\ Oz" and go into the directory (and that displays correctly). Furthermore, the ID3 tags (with accents) display properly.

I have the Spanish locale enabled for glibc, and I have my LINGUAS variables set. Does anyone know how to cause these to display correctly?

I think you can rename the folder replacing the ? with the actual character, I have the same folder and did that and know displays correctly
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Hrm. Running a 'cp -R' makes it clear that they're the same directory, ls just isn't displaying it properly.

Also, when I'm in a regular console (Ctrl-Alt-Fn), ä appears as some sort of a sigma when I type it while in a loadkeys. But again, I'm not sure how to correct this.

Thanks again.

i get the same problem with my £ :/
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?