Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just installed Gentoo on one of my computers, which more or less finished successfully (besides gnome not starting and the text appearing blurry during a part of the boot-process, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't type password at login (can't login)

Just installed Gentoo on one of my computers, which more or less finished successfully (besides gnome not starting and the text appearing blurry during a part of the boot-process, but they're minor problems).
    At first, I could log in without any complications, so I emerged nvidia-kernel (in a part of an attempt to fix gnome), success. Then I tried nvidia-drivers, but without success since nvidia-kernel blocked it. Emerged, unmerged a couple of times, ran depclean, trying to get both (since the info after nvidia-kernel emerge said it allowed two new ebuilds, among them nvidia-drivers).
    After a while I shut down the computer since I had to go to work, came back for lunch but then I couldn't log in. I am able to type root, but after I press enter it won't accept any password. It just waits for 10 secs or so and then prompts login again, without any error messages.
    I haven't tried booting from the livecd, chrooting and creating another user due to lack of time (had to make lunch too). But I did try a diffirent terminal, no luck though.
    Anyone have clue what prevents me from logging in?

Edit: Using kernel 2.6.17, anything else you wish to know, just ask.

Thanks in advance.

Did you use the graphical installer for the initial install? It is causing a lot of problems from what I can tell.

If you want the nvidia-drivers package, just unmerge nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx, because the nvidia-drivers package provides both.

You may have a problem with any updates you may have done, and probably should have run etc-update to update any config files that would have changed.

When you chroot in, remove pam-login and re-emerge shadow. That will save you a lot of trouble while trying to update your system. It may also allow you to login. Also, when in chroot, run "etc-update" and update all of your config files.

I really hope when they release 2006.1 it solves the pam-login/shadow problem, and maybe they will update the graphical installer to actually work a little better.

If you didn't use the graphical installer, then I think it is probably the pam-login/shadow problem, and not updating the config files via etc-update.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    No, never used the graphical installer.

Funny, I kind of perceived the nvidia-drivers package as a replacement for nvidia-kernel since it was about 30MB bigger. Only thing which made me think diffirent was after the emerging of nvidia-kernel which said new ebuilds was available, i.e. the nvidia-drivers.

That sounds reasonable, because I didn't do etc-update. My experience doesn't reach any further than a few hours, which probably is the main reason.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try removing pam-login and re-emerge shadow tomorrow, got the day of.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Also, make sure you run etc-update and go through each one of the updates. That will make or break your system, really.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry