Find the answer to your Linux question:
so im at the part where your in menuconfig configuring the kernel manually. how do you put a * in a [ ]??? aka... how do u make something like: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problems in menuconfig during installation

so im at the part where your in menuconfig configuring the kernel manually. how do you put a * in a [ ]??? aka... how do u make something like:
    [ ] Ext 3 journalling file system support

to look like this
    [*] Ext3 jornalling file system support

??? , i thought u just highlight it and press enter but it doesnt do anything.

also i have some questions about stuff in the handbook...
    1) what is PPPoE, i need to know if i need to do this...

(With a 2.6.x kernel)
    Device Drivers --->
    Networking support --->
    <*> PPP (point-to-point protocol) support
    <*> PPP support for async serial ports
    <*> PPP support for sync tty ports

all i know is that i connect to the internet through a cable modem which is connected directly to my onboard lan...
    2)when editing the network how do i know if i need to manually set the ip for eth0 or auto detect it?
    3) how do i know if i have more than one network interface and need to make more initscripts or not?
    4) what am i supposed to do when i "# nano -w /etc/rc.conf", just make sure everything looks right?
    5) how do i know if my hardware is using UTC or not? should i jsut put local sincei dont know?
    6) in GRUB, would my hda1 be hd0,1? and hda2 hd0,2 and so on????

please respond if you have any answers pertaining to any of my questions. the faster the response the quicker. i will be checking this very periodically withinthe next 3 hours of this being posted. thanks in advance for all the helpful info.

1. Use the space bar to select[*]
    1 1/2. if you dont know what PPoe is, you probably don't need it, It's for DSL.
    2. try auto first, if it works and you have no reason to change it, leave it on auto.
    3. issue the command lspci in a terminal or konsole window, as root of course. you'll see if more than one card it listed.
    4. don't know what you're talking about. sorry
    5. Fedora uses: system-config-date, I'd bet Gentoo has something similar.
    6. Yes, yes and yes, I believe thats right.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    thanks very much that helped alot

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    PPPoE is for dial up and dsl (sometimes for dsl that is) so chances are you won't need it.

I usually put the date as local, so that it is right when I reboot. UTC does strange things to my computer.

When you look at rc.conf, then that is the file to set what login manager and window manager you use (or desktop manager, either one). I don't modify it until after I have installed a desktop environment.

There is a link in my sig that will help you with your gentoo endeavors. The links on the page have helped me with more than one thing more than once.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry