Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I had to change the CHOST too. Do I need to do a bootstrap, or do I just recompile the toolkit, system then world? weed...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I had to change the CHOST too.

Do I need to do a bootstrap, or do I just recompile the toolkit, system then world?

weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

All you have to do is follow the instructions at:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml

On a side note, I've compiled gcc 3 times today, and I'm currently on item 219 of 542 of world. YAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Weedman
    I had to change the CHOST too.

Do I need to do a bootstrap, or do I just recompile the toolkit, system then world?

weed
    Indeed, I did what Cabhan has mentioned, and after a few emerges I'm now finishing the emerge -e sistem (last 5 packages). After changing the CHOST, I re-did everything in the instructions, during the first emerge -e sistem, it tossed out an error while emerging gcc, so I re-emerged only gcc, then went through emerge -e sistem about 15 packages at a time. Kind of redundant, since some packages were emerged numerous times, being dependencies and all that, but hey, better safe than sorry

Ok, so my best bet is to do a "remerge" of gcc, binutils and glibc, -e system, -e system and -e world.

So all up, 2 emerges of system, and one of world.

Sounds ok, I've already done the emerge gcc, binutils and glibc. On my way to --emptytree!

Thanks guys for your advice,

weed

Some more info concerning the chost change, apparently it's a good idea to:

emerge --oneshot --emptytree glibc binutils gcc

followed by the standard

emerge -e sistem
    emerge -e world

I'm running the --oneshot bit now, looking good so far. From there, I'll be going directly to emerge -e world, as I've already done the sistem and from what I've read it shouldn't make a difference.

i didn't need to change the CHOST. i just ran emerge -NuDva gcc, then switched to the profile, emerge binutils linux-headers gcc glibc then emerge -e system and finally emerge -e world. most of the system will be compiled twice anyway and the toolchain will be compiled 3 times. also used it as an excuse to upgrade my kernel (only a couple of revisions though).
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Thanks for confirming that procedure. There are about 5 or 10 different metods of doing the exact same thing on the net.

Interesting...

I got onto one of the gentoo mirrors, and they have gotten rid of the "i386" stage 3 builds. Back when I had (and still do have) the original i386-stage3 for 2005.1-r1, you could choose.

Interesting how one thing like glibc can cause something like this to happen. They've only got the i686 stuff up now. It doesn't really matter anymore, all my Gnetoo machines are i686 anyway .

I am currently on the --oneshot section aswell. But I have found, that for some reason, distcc is broken AND/OR gcc is not using it at all. No error messages or anything. It's like It doesn't exist.

I have my make.conf file setup correctly, so it should AT LEAST be giving me error messages.

Any Ideas?

weed

Just so you all know, Gtk+ apps are being broken with gcc 4.1 if you use -O3. I'm currently recompiling my whole system under -O2. I myself experienced crashing with both gaim and gtk-demo, but crashes have also been reported under Gimp and a bunch of GNOME apps.

Just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    Just so you all know, Gtk+ apps are being broken with gcc 4.1 if you use -O3. I'm currently recompiling my whole system under -O2. I myself experienced crashing with both gaim and gtk-demo, but crashes have also been reported under Gimp and a bunch of GNOME apps.

Just a heads up.
    That is good to know. I always build with O2 or Os. O3 usually gives me problems or causes the binaries to actually be slower.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

I always have used O2. Now I'm thankful I have always used it.

Thanks for the hint. I actually installed a gtk app while halfway through the empty and compile of the world tree, and it segfaulted not long after starting it.

Oh well, onto my "-e world"...

weed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast